cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a clear clarification of account susspension......

Highlighted
Faisal A Member Since: Nov 30, 2015
1 of 9

Hello

I have a very bad experience in Upwork. I like to get a fair judgment from Upwork please.

I had a regular client in Elance. We did $7,374.10 business there. After "Elance moving Upwork" announcement, we decided to continue our business in Upwork. In Elance period ** as my client for job distribution & payments. But due to her pregnancy (maternity leave) she couldn't continue in Upwork. ** assigned a new guy named ** there. As i know Jocelyn was totally new in Upwork. May be she/he ( i have no idea) did any mistake in his/her account information. For that Upwork suspended both of our account & refunded my all payments (almost $4000+).

Christian G contacted with me that time. He asked me for some information & proofs. I had tried my best to provide all. After a few days later Christian mailed me that, all of my proofs are accepted & my account is free again. I asked Christian to clarify me about my fault there. But unfortunately Christian didn’t reply me on that. I mailed him several times. After few days later, I contacted with Grace via live chat. I requested him to make me re-communication with Christian if possible. He told me he will update the previous ticket. But I haven’t seen any related activity still. Yesterday I contacted with Eloisa Maica via live chat again. After shared all details Eloisa Maica advised me to post my feedback here. So I am here.

I like to get a true judgment with clarification please. Why my account had suspended? As all helpdesk agent told me that was some information gap of my client or something like that. So defaulter was my client not me.

I hope upwork higher authority take this seriously & will provide me clear clarification.

Kind Regards

Faisal

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

They probably won't tell you exactly, but the whole "client gets suspended and so does freelancer" is worrisome. Did you finally get your money?

Highlighted
3 of 9

Yes I got my money from client though that is still in under review. As a client they are really very good & honest.

I am not clear yet what was my fault. Sorry.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 9

Hi Faisal,

I understand your frustration and confusion. However, account suspensions happen for a variety of reasons. The main goal though is to protect our users and the marketplace overall. Often (like in your case) certain things need to be reviewed and sorted out and once it's done, the suspension is lifted. We are not able to share exact details about our internal processes, especially here in the public forum, to prevent abuse.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 9

hi Valeria, thanks for reply. Sorry to say again, your reply didn't satisfy me. If Upwork suspended me only for that perticular client then it was okay. But Upwork suspended my whole account. So I couldn't bid or couldn't search new job. Additionally Upwork refund my all payments. So I had no money & no jobs. Do you think it is fair?

I am from a 3rd world country. I am working in upwork as full freelancer. So almost 1 month with no income is a very big matter for me. Hope you understand & help me to understand that Upwork care about freelancers.

Highlighted
Gary B Member Since: Dec 1, 2015
6 of 9

More and more I am seeing heavy handed tactics used by Upwork. Can't reveal exact nature of suspension? Come on.

How is a user suppose to avoid suspension, or remedy a suspension if the rules are not known?

I used Upwork when it was eLance and was quite happy. I'm just returning and have several contracts I would like to award, but I am beginning to question whether I want Upwork to "have their hands in my piggy bank". To be quite honest, if Upwork were a US company I would be asking our Attorney's Generals to start an investigation into the financial practices of Upwork.

Well, at least credit card companies and PayPal will respond to stop payment requests if the situation were to arise. In the mean time I guess my business goes to the other major Freelance company.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Garrett M Member Since: Feb 13, 2015
7 of 9

fairly certain that Upwork is a US company.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 9

It sounds like your client did something wrong. His account was suspended until that was sorted out.

Because he was working with you at the time of suspension, your account gets suspended as well, in case you are involved in the wrong doing. Seeing that money was frozen I suspect it was a problem with his payment method.

Once everything is straightened out everything is activated again except you lose all your job proposals, can't access your money, and can't work until things are fixed.

I find it really troublesome that freelancers are treated this way and then later told, ok everthing is fine now. It may be fine for the client and Upwork, but it doesn't leave you very "fine" at all.

Very very worried about more and more occurrances about this.

Highlighted
9 of 9

Yes Jean, you understood me perfectly. I hope Upwork higher authoity will understand my situation also & judge this in fair way.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS