🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need a "pulse check" on my progress
Page options
syeddes
Community Member

Need a "pulse check" on my progress

So I've been on UpWork maybe for 1 week or so.  I'm a developer and I have 10+ years professional experience.  I'm trying to get starting with something small first since I'm not all to familure with this platform.  Once comfortable I want to chase after bigger jobs.  I don't have the Upwork + (paid one).  However, I heard it's worth it consideirng you can see bid price.  Here are my questions.

1.  Is there anything "wrong" with my profile, I've been comparing my profile with other people and it seems I should be Okay.?

2.  I've submitted to 6 proposals so far starting from 3 days ago to one just 19 minutes ago.  How many proposals should I have out at the same time.  My concern is there's a risk I could one day win multiple then have to "perform" within the timeframe several projects at a time. 

3.  I was told that I should only wait about a day once I submit and if the client dosen't get back to me I should simply reject it.  Is this true? If so do I simply withdraw my proposal?

4.  How do you deal with "budgeted price"  so far I've been submitting proposals "up to" the budget price (not above).  I'm assuming people are submitting proposals way below the budgeted price?  So I see for example a simple job to convert a file for $75.00.  I've submitted exacly $75.00.  Is this asking for to much?

5.  Within the Cover letter I usually explain how I'm going to tackle the project and I explain the steps I'm going to take.  Maybe a paragraph or so.  Is this okay?  Sometimes I introduce a little bit about myself within the cover letter.  

6.  In terms of Samples, I provide none, and I haven't provided any so far.  I read somewhre that many people don't even look at them.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
yitwail
Community Member

Syed, it's good that you're asking these questions after 6 proposals instead of 26, the way a lot of new freelancers do. I'll respond as best I can.

1. Profile looks ok to me though I don't claim expertise in profile evaluation. However, you might consider changing title to something a bit more specific than Talented Developer.

2. When it comes to proposals, I think being economical is wise. You're starting out with 30 proposals per month, so make them stretch, by applying for something you believe to be a great fit for your skills.

3. Only reason to withdraw a proposal is if you change your mind and you're no longer able or willing to do the job you applied for. While most clients hire within a few days of posting a job, some take much longer.

4. Only you can decide if the client's budget is high, low, or just right, so you should bid accordingly. There's no dishonor in bidding somewhat below the budget -- otherwise, Upwork wouldn't allow it -- and if the client is price conscious, it should make your bid more competitive.

5. I write my cover letters using the same approach as you do.

6. For the most part, your portfolio should be your sample, but if the client specifically requests a sample, then you should provide one or pass up the job.

Thanks,

I guess my other question is what's the process if you get "selected".  Do they simply provide you an offer?  I'm assuming that means they can 'bargin" what you initially request.  If the client isn't clear on their requirements can the clear it up during a contact with you thus allowing you to "back-out"?  

Sometimes I see work that's very unclear or the req are not clearly stated.  Then the client explains it in further detail that causes to realize that it's beyond your abilty maybe?  

yitwail
Community Member

It’s up to the client what happens after once you’re selected. If the client messages you, then you can request clarifications or negotiate terms. Once in a while, a client will send you an offer without any discussion. In all cases, you’re under no obligation until you accept a contract offer.

Your profile reads as if you are looking for a full-time job at a company. It does not read as if you are in business for yourself providing a specific service. Additionally, the overview is too generic. It's not really clear what you specifically offer and how you will help the client.

I completely understanding coming from the FTE/corporate world. However, you need to shed yourself of that mindset in a hurry and start thinking more like a consultant selling a project by project service. I've read a million profiles like yours back when I was running IT departments. You need to completely change your approach. Freelancing is nothing like working for a department within a company.

syeddes
Community Member

I completely agree with you.  I took my Resume and more/less ported it into Upwork.  Since then I have obtained one client.  I will need to work more on tooling this to around a Freelancer. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths