🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need a week break due to emergency
Page options
a_nandhini
Community Member

Need a week break due to emergency

Hi, 

While on a fixed bid contract, after a week I got into a family emergency and have to take atleast 2 weeks break.  Client can't afford to wait for 2 weeks and so I provided all the information so that next candidate can start from that point. Now the question is,  what the client supposed to do with the contract? Client is still thinking on hiring me after 2 weeks for different milestone.  I am ready to provide full refund so that client can use that money for next candidate though I spent quite a good amount of time for this project.  What exactly will happen to the contract and how will it affect my rating?  Will Upwork take any action for this situation? 

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Padmanandhini,

Please discuss this with your client so that you can both agree on what to do with your contract. The client has the option to temporarily pause the contract or leave it open until you are available and by then he can create the new milestone for you. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

If you have done some work on the contract but not finished the milestone, the client can release part of the milestone. Then, he can either end the contract or you can leave it open without a funded milestone for a few weeks until you determine whether you'll be working together further.

If the client releases even a small amount of money in payment for the work you have done so far, that will be much better for your JSS than if you release all of the money back to him and he ends the contract without having paid you anything.

The reason why I opted for full refund because client is in a hurry to complete the work soooner and any break inbetween will make them upset. Also that client already spent a lot of money previously for an incomplete work. 

Based on my previous experience ( though not many in Upwork)  If any technical knowledge client, he/she understands the work completed. But non technical client its hard to make them understand the siutation of their own system and work needs to be done. 

wontone9
Community Member

Padmanandhini A wrote:

Hi, 

While on a fixed bid contract, after a week I got into a family emergency and have to take atleast 2 weeks break.  Client can't afford to wait for 2 weeks and so I provided all the information so that next candidate can start from that point. Now the question is,  what the client supposed to do with the contract? Client is still thinking on hiring me after 2 weeks for different milestone.  I am ready to provide full refund so that client can use that money for next candidate though I spent quite a good amount of time for this project.  What exactly will happen to the contract and how will it affect my rating?  Will Upwork take any action for this situation? 

Hi

if you refund the fund, it will not effect your ratings. I dont think normally client will wait for 2 weeks. 

if i am in place of you i will go with this:

1. Ask the client : if he is ready to give some part from the deposited milestone.

2. Client not willing to pay - This way tell him or you can cancel the contract , refund all his money request.

Regards

saju

petra_r
Community Member

Saju G wrote:

Padmanandhini A wrote:

Hi, 

While on a fixed bid contract, after a week I got into a family emergency and have to take atleast 2 weeks break. 

I am ready to provide full refund so that client can use that money for next candidate though I spent quite a good amount of time for this project.  What exactly will happen to the contract and how will it affect my rating?  Will Upwork take any action for this situation? 

if you refund the fund, it will not effect your ratings. I dont think normally client will wait for 2 weeks. 

Wrong! A contract that closes without payment will negatively affect her JSS. It's better to just leave the contract open for the next milestone after 2 weeks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members