🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need clarification on video meeting via Skype...
Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

Need clarification on video meeting via Skype before a contract is set up

I had received an invitation from a potential client, but sufficient details had not been provided in the RFP.

Rather than declining the invitation, I had accepted the invitation to inform the client of my concerns through Upwork messages and then withdrawn my proposal.

After I had withdrawn my proposal, the client messaged me that he would like to talk with me.

I prefer using Skype for video meetings rather than Zoom.

I understand that AFTER a contract is set up, we can communicate with the client via non-Upwork media such as email, Slack, Skype, etc. (though I try to keep all interactions on Upwork to generate a paper trail).

Here is my question:

Is it against Upwork’s TOS to have a Skype meeting with a client BEFORE a contract is set up?

"Certa bonum certamen"
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "It is my preference to use Skype as opposed to Zoom."

Upwork does not require you to change your preference.

But Upwork requires you to not use Skype prior to being officially hired with an Upwork contract.

So your options are:

- Get the client to hire you and AFTER you have been hired, communicate with Skype.

[or]

- Communicate with the Upwork Messages tool, including Upwork's built-in Zoom option, until the client actually hires you.

ALSO:
You may use the Community Forum to ASK Upwork to add integrated Skype to its Upwork Messages tool, the same way that it has added integrated Zoom. But until then, "Skype before being hired" isn't allowed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Is it against Upwork’s TOS to have a Skype meeting with a client BEFORE a contract is set up?

Yes

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ravindra B wrote:

I understand that AFTER a contract is set up, we can communicate with the client via non-Upwork media such as email, Slack, Skype, etc. (though I try to keep all interactions on Upwork to generate a paper trail).

Here is my question:

I think you answered your own question?

So... The funny thing is that nearly every time a client tries to pull a freelancer over to Skype for an interview, it is just a scammer... Not a real client.

So even if a freelancer doesn't care about following the rules, it is a waste of the freelancer's time. Those people are trying to steal money from freelancers.

Thank you, all.

The client simply stated that he would like to talk.

It is my preference to use Skype as opposed to Zoom.

"Certa bonum certamen"

But Upwork requires you to not use Skype prior to being officially hired with an Upwork contract.

So your options are:

- Get the client to hire you and AFTER you have been hired, communicate with Skype.

[or]

- Communicate with the Upwork Messages tool, including Upwork's built-in Zoom option, until the client actually hires you.

ALSO:
You may use the Community Forum to ASK Upwork to add integrated Skype to its Upwork Messages tool, the same way that it has added integrated Zoom. But until then, "Skype before being hired" isn't allowed.

Preston H wrote:

So your options are:

[or]

ALSO:

Thank you, Preston.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Preston H wrote:

So... The funny thing is that nearly every time a client tries to pull a freelancer over to Skype for an interview, it is just a scammer... Not a real client.

So even if a freelancer doesn't care about following the rules, it is a waste of the freelancer's time. Those people are trying to steal money from freelancers.

Preston,

In this case the client had invited me to a job, which I "declined."

Thereafter, the client expressed his desire to talk to me.

Please see my first post in this thread.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths