🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need help. My client wants a refund after 68 ...
Page options
tyln
Community Member

Need help. My client wants a refund after 68 days later.

Hi all,

I need help with a situation. My client wanted a refund for the approved milestone after 68 days later.

First,

106 days ago - We were working with a fixed-price contract with my client. He wanted a design from me and I made 5 different variations then the results did not satisfy him and I made 3 more designs and sent the designs as a milestone. He accepted the milestones and asked me the finalization of one of the designs. Then I prepare the final documents and sent in 3 days.

After that, he wanted a new design from me and I asked some questions about a new job then he never answers me. In addition, he never opened a second milestone or any other job offer for that.

68 days later (yesterday), I received the refund request. Meanwhile, Our contract still open.

Today, I wrote to him gently. I explained the situation and asked him what is the problem. And I said if he wants to continue to work I am open to it.

So, what can I do now? What are my rights?
Do I have to refund? and How can I report this situation to Upwork?

Please help me.
Best Regard.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Taylan S wrote:

Do I have to refund?

Nope, you do not have to refund and the client is WAY outside the time window where they could have opened a dispute.  (Within 30 days of the last milestone being funded (!) or while they are (any) funds in Escrow)

No need or point "reporting this to Upwork"

However, I would close the contract, because if the client gets smart / is advised to and funds a new milestone it resets the timewindow during which they can dispute (the entire contract!) again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Taylan S wrote:

Do I have to refund?

Nope, you do not have to refund and the client is WAY outside the time window where they could have opened a dispute.  (Within 30 days of the last milestone being funded (!) or while they are (any) funds in Escrow)

No need or point "reporting this to Upwork"

However, I would close the contract, because if the client gets smart / is advised to and funds a new milestone it resets the timewindow during which they can dispute (the entire contract!) again.

tyln
Community Member

Thanks for your reply, Petra.

I will finish the contract,
Can the customer always submit a refund request? Even after 60 days?
And what about the rating. Can the client be able to give a bad review?

petra_r
Community Member

Taylan S wrote:

Can the customer always submit a refund request? Even after 60 days?

Yes. They can "ask for a refund" but beyond the dispute deadline such a request has no teeth. All you have to do is say a polite and professional version of "No!"

Taylan S wrote:

And what about the rating. Can the client be able to give a bad review?

Yes. Like any other client can. But do not let fer of feedback scare you into giving an undeserved refund please.

tyln
Community Member

Thank you very much, Petra,

You gave significant advice and the answers were very helpful for me.

Regards.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

Contrary to other positions:  et "not giving a refund" scale the living heck out of you.   If you push on the topic, the client will grow steamy to hot and most probably punish you with ratings.  Your JSS score is your most valuable asset.  Since it determines the potential for future work won, it is vastly more important than a few to a few many dollars.  Those who do not protect and nurture their JSS scores consign themselves to expending time and connects for probably futile purpose.

1. Provide the refund
2. Remain quiet about the job score

3. If one is left, hope your good will is reflected back.
4. If one is not left. Wait until the weekend of July 4th.

5. Quietly close the project down on Friday afternoon around 4pm.

With good luck, the client will be too busy with their weekend to leave a bad rating.  Then you have gotten yourself out of this mess with the lowest possible penalty to the JSS.

Money or reputation.  You get to choose. I choose to protect my client-facing reputation.  The rest is simply chatter.   My JSS is 100% and has been for a very, very long time. And yes, I have followed my own advice at times.  That does not mean I have to like it.

John.

Hi John,

Thank you for your answer,

These are very good advice for who thinks about the future.

In my situation, I tried to be a problem-solver even there is no problem. I am always open to any iteration even after a long time of the approval. Most important is that standing behind the work and move with the client, not stand against.

The JSS is very important for the future, you are absolutely right. But there are some clients trying to use that force over the freelancer and this is unfair.

Anyway, as you said "That does not mean I have to like it."

Taylan.

petra_r
Community Member

Taylan, ignore that poor advice. A fully refunded contract has as much of a negative effect on your JSS as poor feedback would. I wish people who have no idea how the system works would refrain from giving such damaging advice.

In future, you want to encourage clients to close the contract when the work is done. That way you get feedback and that would improve your JSS if good. 

versailles
Community Member

Taylan S wrote:

The JSS is very important for the future, you are absolutely right. But there are some clients trying to use that force over the freelancer and this is unfair.

Not only this, but refunds may have a very bad effect if you end up with a contract with no earnings. So not only refunding will give a potential scammer their money back, but it will also negatively impact your JSS.

Some people here have a good knowledge of how Upwork functions. Petra is one of them. Others have no clue, but will post nonsense answers only to get noticed. Be careful.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

John B wrote:

Contrary to other positions:  et "not giving a refund" scale the living heck out of you.   If you push on the topic, the client will grow steamy to hot and most probably punish you with ratings.  Your JSS score is your most valuable asset.  Since it determines the potential for future work won, it is vastly more important than a few to a few many dollars.  Those who do not protect and nurture their JSS scores consign themselves to expending time and connects for probably futile purpose.

1. Provide the refund
2. Remain quiet about the job score

3. If one is left, hope your good will is reflected back.
4. If one is not left. Wait until the weekend of July 4th.

5. Quietly close the project down on Friday afternoon around 4pm.

With good luck, the client will be too busy with their weekend to leave a bad rating.  Then you have gotten yourself out of this mess with the lowest possible penalty to the JSS.

Money or reputation.  You get to choose. I choose to protect my client-facing reputation.  The rest is simply chatter.   My JSS is 100% and has been for a very, very long time. And yes, I have followed my own advice at times.  That does not mean I have to like it.

John.

Have you considered his client might be from the UK where July 4 has a very different meaning? (They don't celebrate losing a colony, if you get my drift...)

Martina P wrote:

Have you considered his client might be from the UK 

John may answer: There's only one state beginning with a U: Utah. And it's UT, not UK.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Martina P wrote:

Have you considered his client might be from the UK where July 4 has a very different meaning? (They don't celebrate losing a colony, if you get my drift...)

The client is from India.

They don't celebrate the 4rth of July either.

The advice has as much value as the rest from the same source. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members