cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to determine if I'm being scammed

Richard H Member Since: Dec 3, 2019
11 of 16
Ok so I just fell for the same scam. Because that’s me. Always being the gullible one falling for scams. Anyway, so I basically bit the hook and got dragged into the boat because these 2 people (be nice) have my name phone # address and one of them mobile sent a $2000 check that I deposited. Any advice anyone?
Antonio S Member Since: Aug 7, 2019
12 of 16
Wow.

I wish I knew what to tell you. Can you contact your bank and explain the situation?
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 16

Antonio is right.

The #1 best thing for you to do next would be to go to your bank and tell them that you realize the check you deposited is fraudulent.

They are going to figure it out very quickly if you don't tell them. It will be better for you if you go to them first.

Also: you can "Flag as inappropriate" this job posting, if you have not already done so.

For future reference:

Even if the $2000 check they sent you was real, you would not be able to accept it or deposit it, because doing so would be a serious violation of Upwork ToS. Upwork does not allow freelancers and clients to exchange funds except through the Upwork platform.

Ace Contributor
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
14 of 16

I'm surprised to hear you were just scammed because you kudoed 2 posts in the Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs thread in October.

How did you read that and then fall for the same or similar scam?

Richard H Member Since: Dec 3, 2019
15 of 16
Who says I read it? 😏
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 16

LOL.

LOTS of people prefer to "learn by doing."

Some people read the manual. Some people jump in and test out the software.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS