Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 17

In my profile photo I'm thinking:

"I hope Jean will hire me."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
12 of 17

I'm sorry to say this, but the picture reminds me of Micheal Douglas in Falling Down.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
13 of 17

Hi Jean,

I just had to throw that in there because I dislke superficiality and I dislike stereotypes. especially when coated as "advise".

As for the age, I don't remember, it was a few years ago. It might not be perceived as professional, but I don't really care as I believe the way I handle e.g. cover letters and interviews will be professional enough.

I know quite a few software developers, web designers and other "computer nerds" who are very successful, yet don't look like it from a let's call it conservative point of view - tattoos, piercings, and their idea of dressing up for special (professional) occasions is putting a tie over their t-shirts. Again, they are very sucessful in what they are doing.

"I'd hate to say what I think he looks like" - That sort of comment was exactly why I made my remark in the first place. Why don't you at least say it then?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
14 of 17

Hamid

Are you sure you have completed you profile 100% .First of all you have a very high hourly rate as you are new to upwork you have to set your rate at low so you can get some jobs to have some good feedback and later you can change it after completing some jobs.

Take some skill tests according to your skills as well use some snapshots in your portfolio of your work which you have done for other clients.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 17

re: "I am a very active member"

Hamid:

I logged into Upwork using my client profile, and I was able to view your profile more fully. I see you DO have two portfolio pieces, so that's a good thing. But one of them is a link to a website which doesn't seem to work, as I mentioned before.

Also, I am not seeing any skill tests, which you really should spend some time taking.

I'm not 100% sure what yo mean about being a "very active member" on Upwork. You have not taken skill tests, you have not had any jobs yet, and you have posted only one message in the Community Forum.

Maybe by being "very active" you mean that you have been bidding on jobs.

Bidding on jobs is a good thing, but you should also spend some time studying contractor portfolios, reading community forum threads, and working on your profile.

It definitely can take time to establish a foothold and start getting jobs, but I think you have the sort of initiative and skills that can lead to success on Upwork.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
16 of 17

Do a first job for free and if you finish it with great quality ask to the client to tip you something. Remember the client feedback will be visible on your profile if they pay you at least 1$ for fixed-price and 3$ for hourly. 
Thats how I started my career here and it worked. You can check the 5$ job on my profile, that was my first job here. Cheers and good luck.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 17

@arens M wrote:

Do a first job for free and if you finish it with great quality ask to the client to tip you something. 

Thank you for providing your advice and sharing your experience, Arens. However, it is not allowed to do or offer to do any work for free on Upwork. It is okay to start with a lower rate and then raise it overtime though. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS