cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to understand why oDesk is closing accounts having 5 star feedback freelancers

Highlighted
Vijay K Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
1 of 26

Hi,

Before coming on oDesk forum, I tried to solve this issue through the customer support. But when I tired with support then I decided to discuss on forum with some open questions.

Let me give a brief idea of issue. I am working on oDesk since last 4 years, worked more then 4500 hours and always had 5 stars. Recently I received mail from oDesk that my account is suspended and they are sharing one link : https://support.odesk.com/entries/23159318-I-received-a-notice-that-my-account-is-closed

According to this link I was having negative feedbacks but I never got any negative feedback. I really worked very hard for making strong oDesk profile. Since last two years I am having oDesk as primary source of income. Here is my profile link : https://www.odesk.com/users/~01f66496d3fd3708fe

So I have queries that Do every one need to start thinking moving out of oDesk because if any one works so hard and oDesk suspend the accounts without giving any reason then what is the benefit of making strong profile with 5 stars and more then 4500 hours on oDesk.

Please help everyone who is suffering from this issue, because today I am facing this issue but may be tomorrow more freelancers will come in this situation.

Thanks,

Vijay

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 26

Hi Vijay,

We are taking into account more than Feedback ratings in these reviews of your account. This reviews are intended to take into account your work history overall, including including disputes, poor feedback, etc. I encourage you to follow the guidance provided to you in this email to complete any review/appeals process.

Highlighted
3 of 26

Hi Garnor,

Thanks for your reply.

I followed all the steps which mentioned in ticket, then contacted couple of times with support and they are just giving me copy/paste response that they can not review account again, because it is closed.

As you mentioned following comment "This reviews are intended to take into account your work history overall, including including disputes, poor feedback, etc. I encourage you to follow the guidance provided to you in this email to complete any review/appeals process."

I want to say please have a look on my profile and can you think this is due to any poor feedback ? I never had any dispute with any client. So I really want to understand this thing that my account does not fall under any account closing criteria.

Thanks & Regards,
Vijay

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
4 of 26

Wow, I took a look at your account and it really makes me worried for myself because I can't think of any reason why it would be closed unless you were moving the work off the platform.I mean  your profile  looks really, really  great and  it shows a great level of dedication. Hope things will work out well for you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
5 of 26

I actually worry about that as well. I think my biggest problem is that it seems to be shrouded in mystery. The people who post here about being under review don't seem to know why they are under review and support just gives them stock answers.

I can understand that the reasons can't be posted here, but if the decision has been made that a specific account needs to be reviewed, the specific reasons for that review should be communicated to the account holder.

Simply being told that the review could be happening because of a variety of possible problems isn't helpful to the freelancer. How can a person argue his case without knowing why the account is being reviewed.

Of course, it could be that oDesk doesn't want freelancers to argue their case. oDesk staff may just want to make their decisions based on their secret criteria without having to deal with those pesky freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Leader
bharti s Member Since: May 3, 2010
6 of 26
everybody facing the similar issues on odesk. 1. your account get closed for no reason even though you are 5 star . They say you have poor feedback Dispute but in real you don't have any or 1-2 but other delivered projects with 5 star can not be ignored? you looking for perfection every time ? 2. It happening with Old contractor actually who helped them build Odesk reputation . 3.Your Application are in hidden tab. You spend more then 15 min to write custom cover -letter and your application never reach to client .Either Hidden or not displayed in contractor list whatsoever . This is something new is happening . 4. Best contractor listing . The new Freelancer with no feedback even listed higher than people with 1000+ hours and excellent feedback . 5. Money back guarantee program . Again Batches are given to those who have just started or with little history . Experienced are ignored again . There is too much going on on odesk Since they joined hand with Elance. I am writing this post to let other knows what experience Freelancer on odesk are going through . I have no intention to raise Finger on odesk support or way of working. This is something is really destroying career of those who making living on odesk.
Highlighted
Rachid Rhyad S Member Since: Nov 23, 2013
7 of 26

Hello,

I would really advise you to give them a phone call, since the phone support is much better and more comprehensive.

Highlighted
8 of 26

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for sharing your valuable thoughts.

I do not want to type any support response but recently I got following response:

As a private company, we have the right to determine who can engage on our platform, and at this time our Trust and Safety management team has come to the conclusion that your participation can no longer be supported.

Can we expect such response from support ? We are here for making oDesk better marketplace and they are not listening our voice single time. I want everyone to gone through with my profile and see if any one can point out me that any single point of reason for closing my account.

I want to raise the voice that if I work more than 4 years on oDesk for making my full time earning source, and if I receive such response then the high probability is some other freelancers who devoted more than me, can also face same issue. We need to raise the voice to handle the account closing things more carefully. I need everyone help who want to support each other to think we are a part of community.

Thanks & Regards,

Vijay

Highlighted
Susan S Member Since: Nov 16, 2014
9 of 26

I looked at your profile just now and I can't understand oDesk's reasoning at all. They should have told you exactly what is going on in your communication with them and then they would have avoided this now current problem of oDesk receiving negative commentary in the community messages.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sandor M Member Since: Apr 26, 2011
10 of 26

Very weird, bit worried to.

You had 5 jobs. 4 was closed in 2011, so they can't be the reason.

Last job has excellent rating, and was long job.

So the client complaining has a low chance.

Whats left :

- account sharing ? (though 2700 hour for 2 year is normal)

- off site work ? (but terms and services doesn't say that your account will be closed if you take work outside oDesk )

I hope its more than just a simple algorithm picking on people.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS