cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to understand why oDesk is closing accounts having 5 star feedback freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
11 of 26

Sandor M wrote: "- off site work ? (but terms and services doesn't say that your account will be closed if you take work outside oDesk )"

Actually taking work off the platform is against the TOS and probably the quickest way to get ones account shut down.

As for seemingly random freelancers getting flagged, I'm sure oDesk gets it wrong as often as they get it right, but I have hired 5 star freelancers with great profiles, feedback and cover letters before and they were nothing but fraudsters. You really can't always tell by the profile and I'm sure that some of the affected freelancers know deep down where they went wrong.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
12 of 26

This just happened to a client of mine. He hired a five star freelancer with a fantastic profile; looked like she could have taught me a thing or two.  He had me review the freelancer's  first piece of writing, and it was obviously not written by a native English speaker. Not even a native English speaker who doesn't write very well. (Her profile says she is in London.)

I later found out that both her oDesk and LInkedIn profiles are stolen. Weirdly, she did not track time using the tracker, despite it being an hourly job. (I asked about this because I thought she might be farming work out and wanted to know if the tracker displayed what she had been up to.) So since there was no money paid, my client will not be able to leave public feedback.

Highlighted
Vijay K Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 26

I never worked off site. I never take my clients oDesk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
14 of 26

oDesk is a site for "freelancers".

Poster is also operating under the banner of 'LUCENTA SOLUTIONS'; which has their own (commercial) web site.

One might reason there is a conflict of interest.

Also note that poster has associates that also operated under LUCENTA; not all of their reviews were "perfect".

Highlighted
Vijay K Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
15 of 26

Hi Gerry,

That is the agency feature which oDesk provides. So it should not be conflict of interest. If oDesk do not want to promote agencies then they should remove this feature. Sometimes when I do not have jobs then I work as that agency contractor. I am not running that agency.  If any review of that agency is not perfect then it should not affect my profile.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Igor L Member Since: Dec 23, 2014
16 of 26

Hey Vijay,

your profile looks notably good and I sincerely don't understand why is it become a subject of suspension therefore I subscribe to this thread, hoping you'll find an acceptable solution. 

Wish you a good luck.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
17 of 26

Wow!!! I am just stunned.

Your profile looks good. Your feedback is great.

They gave you absolutely no detailed explanation.

I fear for myself and all other Odesk workers when I see something like this.

I have a sick feeling about working on Odesk now. This is not good.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
18 of 26

I hate to post this here but a rumour circulating at freelancing groups at FB about this is because some of the people oDesk hired to review freelancers' accounts are oDesk freelancers themselves and might be a bit jealous of other oDesk freelancers who are a lot more succesful than them....hence, why people with great profiles are being suspended/taken down.

That's just a rumour and I'm sure some of those whose accounts are being closed deserves it...still, some things are just too weird and don't make sense.

It would be great if the site start informing freelancers of the specific reason why their accounts are being closed to stop rumours from spreading. 

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
19 of 26

If something is a rumor then it is the best to avoid spreading it. I will be the devil's advocate here, but we have to keep in mind that we do not have all the elements to judge if the oDesk's decision was fair or not.

As someone mentioned it, a shiny profile may sometimes hidding something totally different.

This is of course pure rethoric and I do not suggest that in this specific case the freelancer's account suspension was justified. Neither I suggest the opposite. As you all, I have absolutely no clue.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
20 of 26

May be in some cases a shiny profile does not equal a good freelancer. I believe that in most cases it does because clients can never be forced to rehire a freelancer or leave a good feedback if they are not satisfied. Also I have never worked with a client who hires a person online and let him work blindly without asking for regular updates or who makes payments without checking the work.  

Leaving that discussion separate , I think that the reason that most freelancers are complaining here cluelessly is because odesk is not providing a transparent answer. It is unfair just to point out to a link of TOS agreement and say that you have broken one of those policies. They should provide a specific reason as to which projects were not completed properly and freelancers should definitely be allowed to make an appeal and explain their side of the story.

I faced a similar "Lifelong Ban" without appeal in my paypal account with some stupid message stating there is "too much risk" dealing with me. And I think that such sites start behaving in this way when they stop giving importance to its users. I guess odesk is now satisfied with the business it is doing. After merging with elance, it is clearly the biggest name in freelance industry and it just does not care about individual freelancers. I think just like I am able to survive without paypal, I will have to learn to survive without odesk as well. It is very much similar to getting fired from a job. It can be your fault or your employer's that you can't work together and it does not mean that you deserve this. It just means that you have to move on with life. So Long Odesk Smiley Happy 

PS: I am not leaving yet.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS