🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Need help with terminated contract
Page options
arnfr89
Community Member

Need help with terminated contract

My client recently terminated a contract for a fixed price of $350 in escrow. He had paid me $50 and then I later requested he pay me $150 because I needed a kind of deposit because I had reservations on the kind of work involved and how time consuming it had become. Since he terminated the contract I saw that I may owe him all of the $300 in escrow even though I was never paid that full amount because the work was never fully finished. We had an understanding that the $150 he paid would not be paid back in a refund and I specifically said that multiple times to ensure him that I was willing to do a refund for that but he was fine with that. I'm not paying $300 if that is the case. What happens if I don't pay it? Is it just an oversight on his part? This was my first ever contract on Upwork.

3 REPLIES 3
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew,

It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the funds currently under the Escrow of the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably.

You can find more information within this help article about the options you have in a case like this when a client ends the job with an escrow balance. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
arnfr89
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I'm attaching what I got in my email. If I do click on the link for the view refund request it goes to an error page that says This page doesn't exist. So from what I understand if I do nothing then his escrow will be refunded and this has nothing to do with me but only with his own escrow?Refund1.png

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew,

That is correct, you have 7 days to respond. If you accept the refund request the funds will be transferred to your client, if you reject the request a dispute will be opened. If no actions are taken from your end after 7 days the funds will be released to your Client as well.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths