🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need info on "Popular Projects"
Page options
poppyh
Community Member

Need info on "Popular Projects"

Can anyone fill me in on the "Popular Projects" category that appeared on my feed? I'm not sure how to use it to good advantage. It seems to me that I'm bidding on a fixed-rate project that has yet to exist.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

Carmela, think of it sort of like a rate card. We have hourly rates on our profiles, but that isn't always useful to a client, because inexperienced clients may have no idea how long a certain type of project will take. Not everyone offers services that can be fit into this type of boxes, but for those who do it can be a useful way to let the client get an idea of what his project costs, rather than just what your time costs. 

For instance, I write a lot of blog posts for consumer law firms. Though there are occasional exceptions, those posts are pretty much standard in terms of time commitment and process, and I routinely offer them on a fixed price basis. For some clients, it's more useful to look at my profile and see, "A blog post of 600-800 words typically costs X" than, "Her hourly rate is $YZB"

I'm also hopeful that the project pricing will be harder to ignore than hourly rates seem to have been and will cut back on clients sending invitations that are far, far below the freelancers rates. But, that remains to be seen, based in part on whether freelancers lie about the stuff in those boxes the way many do about their hourly rates.

The "starting at" and "request a quote" protect you from a client just placing an order that doesn't really fit in the box and should have been more expensive.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
tlsanders
Community Member
poppyh
Community Member

Thanks for the link, Tiffany! I appreciate it. I read through all 19 (for now) pages. It still seems that this new feature has me bidding on an imaginary (sample) fixed-price project. If a potential client is interested, he/she will still need to contact me to get a quote for his/her specific project. Am I missing something, or is that it?

Our profiles already show our hourly rate; we can create custom profiles for each of our major offerings; clients can see how much was paid for previous projects, as well as client feedback. I'm just wondering if there's an angle to this new feature that I haven't understood?

Carmela: I am sorry, but your understanding of "Popular Projects" is not correct.

There is no bidding on imaginary projects. There are no jobs. This is a way for you to offer your services.

You need to go to your profile page and delete all popular projects until you understand how this works.

Thank you for the reply, Preston. That is the reason I asked the question - to get a better understanding of this new feature, so I can use it to best advantage.

poppyh
Community Member

Some background: I first heard of this new feature via email yesterday- Upwork informed me it was now on my profile. I didn't sign up for the beta test. So, this is a surprise to me.

From my perspective, it seems as if I'm publishing a price for a fixed-price gig, e.g. "I will translate xx words/pages for $y in zz days, with nn revisions". Therefore, I reached out to see if I had understood this correctly, or if there was some additional angle/benefit/use for this new feature that I had overlooked.

It is a pilot program. Upwork is testing it out. The same thing happened to you that happened to me. Got an email. Then went and saw this stuff on my page. I deleted the projects, because obviously none of them were things I actually offer.

Maybe I will use the feature to make up my own offerings.... But I have not done that yet.

Same here (like Preston).

Got notified, took one look at Upwork's suggestions and then deleted the whole lot.

I have absolutely no use for this feature.

I'm glad I saw this thread because I didn't see the email.  However I noticed the "popular projects" in my profile.  At first I thought they were projects to bid on so I ignored them.  I've now gone in and deleted them. 

Yeah, my popular projects made me laugh. It just seemed ridiculous to put a starting price for "graphic design" or "social media"—whatever that means. 

I can't wait to tell a client that I'd like to sell them a bunch of "graphic design" starting at $650. Smiley LOL

tlsanders
Community Member

Carmela, think of it sort of like a rate card. We have hourly rates on our profiles, but that isn't always useful to a client, because inexperienced clients may have no idea how long a certain type of project will take. Not everyone offers services that can be fit into this type of boxes, but for those who do it can be a useful way to let the client get an idea of what his project costs, rather than just what your time costs. 

For instance, I write a lot of blog posts for consumer law firms. Though there are occasional exceptions, those posts are pretty much standard in terms of time commitment and process, and I routinely offer them on a fixed price basis. For some clients, it's more useful to look at my profile and see, "A blog post of 600-800 words typically costs X" than, "Her hourly rate is $YZB"

I'm also hopeful that the project pricing will be harder to ignore than hourly rates seem to have been and will cut back on clients sending invitations that are far, far below the freelancers rates. But, that remains to be seen, based in part on whether freelancers lie about the stuff in those boxes the way many do about their hourly rates.

The "starting at" and "request a quote" protect you from a client just placing an order that doesn't really fit in the box and should have been more expensive.

Preston H wrote:

Carmela: I am sorry, but your understanding of "Popular Projects" is not correct.

There is no bidding on imaginary projects. There are no jobs. This is a way for you to offer your services.

You need to go to your profile page and delete all popular projects until you understand how this works.

Preston, none of us really understand how it works, including UW. They are beta testing it--in a strange way, granted, as they've both invited FLs to participate and implemented it for many of us who did NOT volunteer. it's still not clear to some of us whether or not clients can see it. 

I'm glad Upwork is being pro-active in designing new features that will help freelancers and clients find one another, but I'd rather be asked by Upwork if I want to participate in a beta test of a new "feature" and be able to answer "Yes" or "No" than have Upwork add nonsensical or incorrect information to my profile without my prior approval.

Hi Phyllis, 

I am just jumping in, but it seems the clients would be able to see those automated projects which have been set up. This is because as we do often check the profile from View my profile as others see it option, and in this case, if it would be on display there, we do not have a reason to believe that clients would not be seeing the same thing. 

As I checked on one of the posts and deleted those projects myself, the best thing would be to delete the projects if you are not interesed in having a fixed price displayed. 

I would have to think a bit before I can use this feature as I do not prefer fixed price projects myself!

I hope this helps!

With Thanks,
Dushyant

- If you do not fight for yourself, who will?
poppyh
Community Member

Thank you all for the comments! You really helped me get some perspective on this feature. I think Upwork needs to have a little more coordination with their rollouts 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members