🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need more connects,
Page options
lascap_01
Community Member

Need more connects,

What is this??? , we are only past mid-january and if I bid on this 7 connects project ill be out of connects again, and I won't be able to bid on jobs unless I buy more...honestly, it's not cool and for that this platform is becoming less and less interesting.

I remember when I joined Upwork a few years ago. I had so much expectations.. sad...

I understand Upwork needs to make profit but every year or so we have to pay more, when is it going end?

10 REPLIES 10
robin_hyman
Community Member

What job is 7 connects?  

Yes that's the world you live in on Upwork.  Pay for connects if you want to apply to jobs.  You can always reach back out to previous clients and see if they have additional work.  It appears desperate but if you're so against paying to play....

yup that's what I say, pay pay pay... you little freelancer, work hard hard hard and then we are going to cut your incomes a little more... when is it going to end??? 

6 not 7 sorry about that but still! only one left after this bid... ridiculous and a waste of time to go back and buy more connects instead of charging the right price from the beginning

Pascal S wrote:

yup that's what I say, pay pay pay... you little freelancer, work hard hard hard and then we are going to cut your incomes a little more... when is it going to end??? 

6 not 7 sorry about that but still! only one left after this bid... ridiculous and a waste of time to go back and buy more connects instead of charging the right price from the beginning

Why not just increase your hourly rate by a couple of dollars and use the extra money to pay for connects? Nobody said that you have to take a hit on this. If any of your other expenses increase, do you not adjust your rates accordingly? That's just business.

I am sorry but this is none sense and hourly projects are not very frequent on my end, I shouldnt have to adjust,... Upwork should

spreading the ways to get money from us is just a facade so we have hard time to realise how much they take from us

Pascal S wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your phrasing here. I doh't think Upwork is the least bit interested in "little freelancers," and if the new connects system drives "little freelancers" away, then it just takes some unnecessary burden off the system.

OKay ... go ahead Tiffany pay pay pay 🙂 

Pascal S wrote:

OKay ... go ahead Tiffany pay pay pay 🙂 

Pay what? 

The roughly 7.5% I pay in fees on average? I'm good with that.

If you mean for connects, I've spent a grand total of $6 on connects since they stopped giving them away over the summer, and I still have about half of those.

But, the real issue here isn't that Upwork seems to be working better for me than it is for you. It's that the idea that Upwork "should have to adapt" to appease freelancers it doesn't care about keeping is absurd, and fixating on it is pointless. 

GOOOD! you don't have to buy more connects  it's great! For me it's different I have a different job, different profile, I have to bid on many projects because soooo many are not real or serious enough to be interesting it's hard for me here. I feel alone with no solutions, I had great expectations with Upwork. but it's not working very well ,the right client don't show up, but noooo worries ill shut it! you wont hear from here again the burden is leaving the community discussion for good!... ciao!

I think you are a great talent, you should stay. I am in the same area as you, sometimes I use a lot of connects and sometimes weeks/months go by and I don't use any. Be patient and more selective, vet the prospective clients, see their hire rate, etc. That will help you find the genuine clients. Sometimes it's harder I know but you are very experienced, it would be a shame if you just give up because of this expense. Yeah, connects used to be free, but if you think about it the fact that they have a cost now helps you! Because little unprofessionals freelancers who never studied, who never actually worked, who are just trying their luck are left out. Allez allez!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pascal, 

I'm sorry to learn about your difficulty with the paid Connects. Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. If a client never hires but doesn’t close the job, your Connects are not returned. In this situation, we continue to encourage the client to hire or close the job, but ask that you consider the cost of Connects as part of your business expenses.

You can try updating your Upwork profile, and profile overview. Some Community members recommend that addressing how you can help a client with their project through your profile overview is one way of catching a potential client's attention. I would recommend that you check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

Hopefully, this helps you get yourself restarted again on Upwork. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members