Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestion

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
1 of 7

Hello to All,

I made an agreement of $ 1000 with the client. Contract started and he funded $ 500. After some time, he ended the contract without any reason, without any notice. In this while I am on my way to start work. He requested the funded amount back and told me that someone is doing this work for free. 

Is it professional approach? 

On the other, I have missed 2 other opporunities because I have work for the next few days. 

At the moment, I have file a dispute. 

What is your opinion about this issue? Help me please. 

Best Regards

Abdul

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

re: "Is it professional approach?"

Is it a professional approach to hire a contractor to do something, let him get half way through it, and then close the contract because he tricked somebody into doing the work for free?

No, this is not a professional approach.

But I don't think it is worth filing a dispute over this.

Keep the work you did thus far, make it into a portfolio item for yourself, and post it in your portfolio on your Upwork profile page.

At least that way you get something out of it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@Preston H wrote:

Keep the work you did thus far,

He said he "was on his way to start the work" when the client ended the contract - I was under the impression no work had been done at all at that point....

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 7

@Abdul R wrote:

Hello to All,

I made an agreement of $ 1000 with the client. Contract started and he funded $ 500. After some time, he ended the contract without any reason, without any notice. In this while I am on my way to start work.

You were "on your way to work?"

Had you DONE the work for the first milestone? If yes - go ahead with the dispute. If No, you don't have a leg to stand on.

The only way a dispute is going to be decided in a binding manner is by going to arbitration. This will cost you $ 290 which is NOT refundable. The arbitrator will ask you for proof of you having submitted the work for the milestone to the client prior to the contract being ended.

If you say "I was about to think about starting to work on it" you will lose arbitration and have lost the $ 290 you paid to go to arbitration.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

Well if you didn't do any work on the project yet (a possibility Petra highlights), then why would you file a dispute?

If you didn't do any work, there's nothing to file a dispute about. You did zero work. The client paid you zero money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
6 of 7

Hi Preston & other mates, 

1. Your opinion is very useful for me. 

2. Is not a valid point that " Did I refuse to do agreed work" 

3. Stage 1, Upwork will arrange triangular meeting, Freelancer, Cleint & UPwork member to reach a resolution. There is no fee of it. 

4. Stage 2. If we do not reach on any solution, then each of the 3 parties will deposit $ 291 ( You refered), A freelancer, A client and Upwork will deposit that fee to independant artbitration. 

Should I go at least to Stage 1?

Best Regards

Abdul

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 7

The question is not "did you refuse to do agreed work" the question is "did you do and deliver any work before the client closed the contract". If you did not, there is no point in even going to stage 1. Like Preston said: "You did zero work. The client paid you zero money." There is no point in disputing at all if your dispute is just "Well, I was *going* to do the work, but then the client closed the job".

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS