cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to report a Fraud Client.

Highlighted
Johnny A Member Since: Jun 14, 2011
1 of 20

I need to contact Upwork to tell you about a client that is scamming freelancers by sending them fraudulent checks. But I can't seem to be able to open a ticket.

Seems Upwork only allows themselves to create tickets now. Ridiculous platform, is really starting to become more of a haven for dirtbags than it is a source for viable work. yet the freelancers are still being penalized an extra 10% for the first $500, of which most clients don't even reach that. 

Start setting a minimum budget of $500 for clients to begin with...and then no job posting until their Payment Method is VERIFIED. 

You keep panering to the crappy clients, and wasting the time of valuable contractors. Nice new website, serves no purpose if the clients are no good. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 20

Hi Johnny,

Sorry you feel this way about Upwork. We don't plan to require clients to verify their payment methods before posting their first job as we want to give them a chance to familiarize themselves with the platform and freelancers' profiles before they enter their payment information. Majority of clients verify their payment method right before they hire freelancers. We also don't expect to increase a budget limit for fixed-price contracts to $500. There are a lot of small jobs posted on Upwork that later turn into long-term relationships.

We will continue to improve our internal processes that identify questionable jobs. The job you are referring to has already been actioned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 20

What about the client? You just let anyone come in the platform without any type of verification to waste the time and energy of quality freelancers, possibly putting them at risk of fraud, just because you want someone to get familiar with your platform? 

Create a Client Oriantation section. Stop making us do your filtering work for you. It is not our jobs to filter through the bad clients and frauds for you. You are a multi-million dollar, internationally operated business. You trying to tell me you have all these hoops for Freelancers to jump through, but you can't do anything to Qulify and Validate Clients on your own platform? 

And you want to charge the Freelancers MORE, to do all this work for you. How is charging the Freelancers an extra 10% up to $500 incentivize the CLIENT to have a longer relationship? That's backwards. You need to be charging them the extra 10% on how much they have spent on the platform. 

Scale out the riff-raff and give us quality clients that actualy want to pay a fair amount for the work they are in need of. This platform is just becoming a place for Angencies to collaborate and maximize profits through underpaying labor. Shameful. Once again, big corporate thinking prevails in the world of Capitalizm. 

When will business finally look at the value that labor really is. Without the people doing the work, NOTHING would get done. People with ideas and money, are just people with ideas and money. If they can't put those ideas into reality, then their money means nothing to them. Labor is responsible for creating those realities, from the dreams. Once you start putting more value on the TALENT, than you do on the pocketbook, this plaform may strat showing signs of success again. 

Till then, it is only a tertiary, at best, solution for quality clients. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 20

Johnny,

We review reported jobs and clients' accounts and, if a violation of Upwork ToS is confirmed, we take appropriate actions. The client's account you reported has already been closed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
5 of 20

True, but it is so easy to post jobs on upwork.  All they need to do is create another account with another e-mail address.  It seems that Upwork does not have good handle on client vetting process the way they do for freelancers.  May be there are more freelancers than customers and Upwork does not want to annoy them.  

Freelancers would have to live with loitering clients, scammers, and stealers.

Highlighted
Stephanie H Member Since: Dec 5, 2019
6 of 20

I just had a terrible experience with a similar situation. There is no place to report this issue - Up Work needs to address this poor business practice ASAP - you get a cut you need to take responsibility. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
7 of 20

Stephanie H wrote:

I just had a terrible experience with a similar situation. There is no place to report this issue - Up Work needs to address this poor business practice ASAP - you get a cut you need to take responsibility. 

The only way for a FL to get scammed with a fraudulent check is to violate the ToS by agreeing to accept payment off platform. 

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 20

Hi Stephanie, 

I checked your account, and while I'm unable to identify the job post that you are referring to, please know that actions have been taken against the two clients that have reached out to you regarding their jobs. Their job posts have also been actioned as they were found to be violating the Upwork Terms of Service. 

As a gentle reminder, please know that users are not allowed to offer, and/or, accept payments off Upwork. Accepting payment off Upwork is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service as noted in Section 7 Non-Cirumvention of the Upwork User Agreement. 

Since you are new to Upwork, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
9 of 20

Easy way to avoid clients sending fraudulant checks:

DO NOT VIOLATE UPWORK TOS. 

If you're getting checks, you're violating Upwork's terms of service. Full stop. And so are the clients. 

Highlighted
10 of 20

Listen here smart guy Randy, I never said I took the check. But I’m not an idiot. When a client tells me they want to send me a check to use to purchase software, I know it’s a line of crap. 

My my point is that if Upwork cared more about QUALITY than they do Quantity, they would vet the clients as well to make sure they are worthy to be on the platform. GOOD CLIENTS will not have an issue with validating their business account to get QUALITY help. 

This is platform used to be so that I was beating off clients with a stick. I could pick and choose which ones I wanted. Now it’s full of cheapskates and phishers. 

This platform has been nothing but pocket change, at best, every since about mid 2015. Hasn’t been worth much more than that since. At least not for solo freelancers. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS