Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to report a Fraud Client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
BEST ANSWER
11 of 20

I would just like to point out that many clients have stated (Including a client who is a frequent forum contributor) stated that they would have never posted a project if they had to verify their payment method or put down a deposit. 

If you walk into a store and they make you verify your payment before you shop, are you going to continue shopping with them?  Most people would say no thanks and go somewhere else. You just have to learn what to look out for. It takes time, but you can eventually tell if it is a scam within the first few lines of a posting or the first few minutes of an interview.  

Point is, if you follow the TOS of the site, there's no reason to get scammed. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Johnny A Member Since: Jun 14, 2011
12 of 20

First of all, your rationale is not sufficient for this scenario. Walking into a store to buy something is not the same as hiring someone.the truth of the matter is that Upwork is lazy and they don't want to do the extra work it takes to make sure the platform is not a haven for scammers. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 20

@Johnny A wrote:

[. . .]

This platform has been nothing but pocket change, at best, every since about mid 2015. Hasn’t been worth much more than that since. At least not for solo freelancers. 

Many solo freelancers on this site would not agree with you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
14 of 20

I hear you.

The sad reality is, there's simply an uptick in fraudulant activity everywhere. I get scammers sending me emails from pretty much every avenue available.  WE are a necessary part of Upwork's ability to track down the scammers. They just don't have the manpower necessary to police every single job post -- that's why there's a flag option. 

Ultimately, Upwork is a vehicle to connect freelancers and clients. Offline and off Upwork, we have to be willing and able to parse the real clients from the frauds, and it holds just as true for Upwork. 

My point in the earlier post was simply that Upwork's TOS is one of the ways they DO, actually, protect users from scammers. If users follow the rules, scams like the one you mentioned are a non-issue. 

Highlighted
Johnny A Member Since: Jun 14, 2011
15 of 20

pwork doesn't pay me to be a client filter for them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 20

@Johnny A wrote:

doesn't pay me to be a client filter for them. 

Nope, so don't "be a client filter" for them. Just apply to contracts with "safe" clients if you don't want to do any filtering, and leave the new clients without verified payment methods and without history to those who don't mind filtering for themselves (not "for Upwork")

The scammers are generally easily spotted, and it's almost impossible to get scammed without breaking the terms of service.

Storm in teacup.

Highlighted
Ayesha H Member Since: Apr 9, 2020
17 of 20

I applied to a job posting with my resume on utilizing your platform then got a message opened requesting me to set up a online interview on Telegram msg system , meanwhile I googled your client and found out they are scammers, they already have my name and information.

this is what I found on Google. You should confirm companies before allowing them to post for safety reasons. With this said I am Beyond disatisfied with your website. Look in the messaging for the attachment they sent and also google them yourself

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
18 of 20

Hi Ayesha,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thanks for flagging this job to us. I've checked and it looks like the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ayesha H Member Since: Apr 9, 2020
19 of 20
Good Morning
I am sure they took it down right away after I told them I was reporting
that it is Fraud my concern is now that they have my information what can I
expect from using your website. I thought your company would screen these
types of ppl before allowing them to create an account. Wouldn't you have
an IEN number of some sort that they are registered to with the Secretary
of State? I am very reluctant to use your site and feel I paid money to
your site just to set myself up to get frauded, Who knows how many more ppl
are going to get scammed especially since COVID happened. If fraud starts
happing at least I will know where it started FROM.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 20

Ayesha H wrote:
Good Morning
I am sure they took it down right away after I told them I was reporting
that it is Fraud my concern is now that they have my information 

Why would you have given them any of your details?

It is actally really difficult to get scammed on Upwork without violating the terms of service or safe practice and common sense.

Ayesha H wrote:
Good Morning
Wouldn't you have
an IEN number of some sort that they are registered to with the Secretary
of State? 

No, because they were not in the US. Those scams are as old as the hills and are all over the Internet.

If you stick to some very basic rules, you are quite safe here.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS