🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Need your opinion
Page options
shummas
Community Member

Need your opinion

Came across a wonderful opportunity that I just could not skip. And so, I dropped a cover letter. 

But 3 minutes later, an identical posting appeared on the feed again, recreated by the same client. To avoid hurting my chances of getting noticed, I copy/pasted the same cover letter. After all, it's the same job.

5 minutes later, I see the same job on my post again, by the same client. Funnily enough, I dropped the cover letter again. I certainly don't want to go unnoticed as this could be a great opportunity for me. 

Then 10 minutes later, an identical posting appears on feed the again, by the same client. At this point, I have already wasted a couple of connects, and if I keep sending the same cover letter to multiple postings, I could very well get flagged for spam (?).

But since I do not know which job post the client would be checking when he finally decides to hire, my best bet is to drop a cover letter to all. Just to improve the odds of me getting noticed. 

Is it okay to send in identical cover letters to identical postings coming from the same client? Opinions? This is the first time I'm experiencing something of this sort.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it okay to send in identical cover letters to identical postings coming from the same client?"

Sounds like a complete waste of time and connects.

But I don't think Upwork is going to punish you in any way for doing so.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Shummas H wrote:

Came across a wonderful opportunity that I just could not skip. And so, I dropped a cover letter. 

But 3 minutes later, an identical posting appeared on the feed again, recreated by the same client. To avoid hurting my chances of getting noticed, I copy/pasted the same cover letter. After all, it's the same job.

5 minutes later, I see the same job on my post again, by the same client. Funnily enough, I dropped the cover letter again. I certainly don't want to go unnoticed as this could be a great opportunity for me. 

Then 10 minutes later, an identical posting appears on feed the again, by the same client. At this point, I have already wasted a couple of connects, and if I keep sending the same cover letter to multiple postings, I could very well get flagged for spam (?).

But since I do not know which job post the client would be checking when he finally decides to hire, my best bet is to drop a cover letter to all. Just to improve the odds of me getting noticed. 

Is it okay to send in identical cover letters to identical postings coming from the same client? Opinions? This is the first time I'm experiencing something of this sort.

You have the option to flag a job posting if it's a duplicate. Clients are not allowed to do that. They seem to think it gets more attention or have other reasons I don't know or understand. They are probably checking all applicants, but I don't know that. In any case, I wouldn't send more than one proposal and I generally stay away from a job that has multiple postings. 

I saw an example of multiple postings today, where the client was obviously confused and didn't realise he was posting publicly. Each of the 3 job posts began with a different "Dear xxx", but were otherwise identical.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members