🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Negative Feedback on a Test (not hired yet)
Page options
8ecf0fa4
Community Member

Negative Feedback on a Test (not hired yet)

A client wanted to give me negative feedback to Upwork for a test I did (he was testing 5 people from the proposals so that he could choose one to hire) and yet I wasn't even hired... 

The test was to write a script of over 2,000 words and he would go through the script to see if it was satisfactory, then he could hire if it was...

Now I wrote the "test script" which took quite a long time, and for free... Then he wanted to give me negative feedback to Upwork since the "test script" was not satisfactory to him

He wrote this: "I have submitted a negative feedback to upwork for dishonest behavior. They will penalize you for it."

Which dishonest behavior?

And if the "test script" wasn't satisfactory to him, should he give negative feedback yet I wasn't even hired in the first place?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
richardrader
Community Member

Justus, I would probablly avoid clients asking for free work even if its a "test". Especially since many clients will ask for these "tests" and then use their work for free while not paying the freelancer. This should be a red flag. 

He wrote this: "I have submitted a negative feedback to upwork for dishonest behavior. They will penalize you for it."

This is an empty threat. Even if he does contact UpWork he is wasting his time. Plus he is violating section 4.1 of the Terms of Use so theres also that...

4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
  • Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
richardrader
Community Member

Justus, I would probablly avoid clients asking for free work even if its a "test". Especially since many clients will ask for these "tests" and then use their work for free while not paying the freelancer. This should be a red flag. 

This is an empty threat. Even if he does contact UpWork he is wasting his time. Plus he is violating section 4.1 of the Terms of Use so theres also that...

4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE
  • Requesting or demanding free services, including requesting Freelancers to submit work as part of the proposal process for very little or no money or posting contests in which Freelancers submit work with no or very little pay, and only the winning submission is paid the full amount;

Thanks for your reply, it really seems like it was an "empty threat"

I'll probably avoid such clients later on

I was reading upwork TOC.

It's simple

No  contract= No Feedback.

wescowley
Community Member

It sounds like you don't actually have a contract with him? If that's the case, he can't leave feedback.

It seems it was just an "empty threat"

petra_r
Community Member

Justus N wrote:

Which dishonest behavior?

The client could report you to Upwork if there was plagiarism or if you were misrepresenting your skills for example, but as asking freelancers to do work free is a violation of Upwork's terms of Service, it's the client who is in deep water.

Tell the client you are reporting him for that, then do so and block them.

2000 words is not just a little test. It's a BIG chunk of free work. If the client finds 5 people who want to waste

their time like that, the client has 10.000 free words.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Report the client for requesting free work.

Tell the client that since he did not pay for the script, it still belongs to you and if he tries to use it you will consider legal recourse.

Block the client.

Don't do free work any more!

tlbp
Community Member

The client is a scammer. Don't do free tests. He is probably trying to scare you so that you don't report him for asking for free work. 

Because it was not paid for, the script you completed belongs to you. Remove any reference to the client's business and use it as a work sample. 

My basic rule of thumb when a prospective client asks a freelancer to do a test:

Give the client an opportunity to do the right thing by hiring you and paying you.

Then ALWAYS do one of these:

a) get hired and get paid

[or]

b) report the client for asking for free work

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members