🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: New Client, Barely started to work and he...
Page options
iamlordzen
Community Member

New Client, Barely started to work and he ended contract

I barely started working for a new client and he abruptly ended my contract and gave a mediocre feedback. I wonder what went wrong but more importantly. can I have the feedback removed and will my JSS be affected?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jeriel,

In order for a contract to be listed on your profile, funds need to be exchanged. If you issue a refund for the earnings under the contract, it will not be listed on your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
JoanneP

Hi Jeriel,

I'm sorry to hear that. At this time, the option to request feedback removal is available to  Top Rated or Top Rated Plus talent. You can read more about this feature here

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you Joane Marie for your answer

One more question. I am a newbie and had a long term client before with no problem. I did not get any replies from client as to why my contract was ended. Is it possible I will refund him the two hours I worked and then have his feedback not appear? I am building my profile still and have several clients already with continuing work so I hope this is possible.

Hi Jeriel,

In order for a contract to be listed on your profile, funds need to be exchanged. If you issue a refund for the earnings under the contract, it will not be listed on your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Will it be affecting my JSS though? I only worked for two hours and you could review our conversation in upwork and got no response as to why contract was ended. Although my first work ended successfully at just over 900 hours. I hope that would count more.

Hi Jeriel,

Yes the contract and the feedback you will receive will be included in your JSS calculation. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Jeriel C wrote:

Will it be affecting my JSS though? I only worked for two hours and you could review our conversation in upwork and got no response as to why contract was ended. Although my first work ended successfully at just over 900 hours. I hope that would count more.

Yes, if you refund all the money, the contract and feedback will disappear. I think the private feedback still counts, but a higher volume contract has higher impact. 

What should I do to improve my profile?
Thank you

Coffi, out here it's an expert's game.

Being OK in doing X, Y, and Z has a lower chance of getting hired than a guy who is really good at X, just one thing.

Start with one thing, build a reputation, then expand.

Starting very wide is unproductive. No client will view you as a highly specialized individual who is safe to hire. Only those who specifically want to hire and squeeze the life out of starting freelancers would pick those with poorly targeted profiles.

thank you for your advice
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Jeriel C.,

Private feedback cannot be removed unless you are Top Rated and specifically ask that it be removed. Otherwise, if I remember correctly, private feedback on a contract can affect a freelancer's JSS for up to three years. 

One of the most important skills you need to quickly develop as a freelancer on Upwork is weeding out difficult / clueless / unresponsive / poorly communicating clients and not working with them in the first place.

Only hindsight is 20/20, You are unlikely to successfully avoid all problematic clients if you do 20, 30 or more Upwork projects per year. But if a prospective client cannot clearly describe their own project, answer important questions about what they are expecting of you, etc. before you agree to work for them, their skills and attitude are not likely to improve once the project is under contract and you begin working.

Good luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths