🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New Client With Unverified Payment Method Off...
Page options
nmelssx
Community Member

New Client With Unverified Payment Method Offered A Job That Sounded Too Good To Be True

After submitting a proposal to a new client with an unverified payment method, they messaged me back a job description that sounded too good to be true. I am doubtful whether this is legit or not, but it doesn't sound legit to me at all. I would like some other opinions on this job description:

"This is an easy job for you to earn money, it doesn’t require much skills, it depends on your communication skills and your ability to know your way around social media. I will need you to assist me with some online sales.
I am a multiple home owner and I like to put my homes up for rent myself, I will need you to virtually work with me on it, it’s very simple all you have to do is list my homes online for rent and send potential applicants over to me.
The hours are very flexible and it would not take more than ten minutes of your time a few times a day, it’s a free process and I will be willing to pay you $650/week"

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

What about payment, contract?

You chatting with client via Upwork or outside (TG, skype, eml)?

ps Unverified Payment or verified mean nothing. It look like scam but can be real client. More details needed.

No contract has been offered yet. I still haven't replied to their offer. I'm currently chatting with the client via Upwork but at the end of their job description, they asked me to text them on a phone number with my name and email address, which I am obviously not going to do until a contract has been made. 

You doing all right.

Yes, it is scam. I think this client gone asap you rejected outside conversation. Report it then forgot.

Never speak outside a while no contract active. Scammer will re-register within 5 click but your account can be blocked with ToS violation if you agree with proposed.

bobafett999
Community Member

Scam:  Most real estate transactions are commission based.

paywell
Community Member

The anatomy of a scam would most likely look like this:

1. Low requirements: no skills or miniscule skills asked by the „client” (for example Windows, MS Word, Skype, coyping and pasting)
  2. No criteria for job completion or very low criteria: in your case it’s working a couple of times daily for 10 minutes. No lead generation or results are indicated.
  3. A very high reward offered: simple typing jobs for 60 USD an hour or hundreds of dollars for a typing project (from PDF to MS Word) with no additional languages / translation / time stamps / subtitle embedding, etc..

In your case – the „reward” is a 600 USD per week job for 10 minutes a few times a day. It’s like 170 USD per hour for hardly working with no qualifications.

„If it’s too good to be true it most likely isn’t true”

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It's a scam. The person does not own the properties, but you would list them in your name, and send interested people to him. He will then scam them out of money for a down-payment or whatever, while your name and facebook account or other social media account is officially tied to the scam. Which means police will come knocking on your door once the victims file reports. Which they 100% will, since all of this is happening within the US. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members