cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Contact and Contract - Same Company

Highlighted
Wesley S Member Since: Jan 22, 2012
1 of 19

So... I've been working for a company through Upwork for almost two years now.  Unfortunately, the person that used to control the contracts and the Upwork account left the company, and a new contract was issued.  I've worked for the company since 2018 and was already at only a 5% fee since I had gone well over the $10,000 goal.  With the new contract, Upwork began charging me 20% and now 10% all over.  Is this normal?  I've had 3 contracts with this company totaling $17152.50.  Why is upwork charging me 20% and 10% again?  Also, is there no more chat support available?

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

The same thing happened to me; I started working for a different person but doing the same kind of work for the same company that I'd worked with for over a year, and the 20% service charge was applied. I contacted Upwork about it and they said that because it was a "new account", there would be no discount. It definitely isn't fair.

The good news is that because you're nearly at the two year mark, you'll soon be allowed to take them off of Upwork and pay no service charges.

Wesley S Member Since: Jan 22, 2012
3 of 19

I wasn't aware of that two-year stipulation.  Do you know where I can read more about it?

Community Guru
4 of 19

Wesley S wrote:

I wasn't aware of that two-year stipulation.  Do you know where I can read more about it?

From the TOS: "Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party (the “Upwork Relationship”)."

I asked for clarification from Upwork myself recently, and was told that after 24 months have passed from the date that you sent your proposal, you don't have to put any more payments through Upwork.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
5 of 19

Christine A wrote:

Wesley S wrote:

From the TOS: "Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party (the “Upwork Relationship”)."

I asked for clarification from Upwork myself recently, and was told that after 24 months have passed from the date that you sent your proposal, you don't have to put any more payments through Upwork.

Is it from the sending of the first proposal or from the first contact?
I think it's the second, but I'm not sure.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 19

In the past, the moderators have said it is from the first contact. ("identified by any party through the Site")

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
7 of 19

Thanks Mary.

Community Guru
8 of 19

Maria T wrote:

Is it from the sending of the first proposal or from the first contact?

I think it's the second, but I'm not sure.

The date that you send your proposal usually is the date that you first "make contact", apparently. The thread where I asked for clarification about this is here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Disintermediation-period/m-p/616336

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 19

This happens when the individual contact person sets up a client account instead of the company doing so. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 19

This happened to me too. It's butts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS