🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: New Contact and Contract - Same Company
Page options
wsoza141
Community Member

New Contact and Contract - Same Company

So... I've been working for a company through Upwork for almost two years now.  Unfortunately, the person that used to control the contracts and the Upwork account left the company, and a new contract was issued.  I've worked for the company since 2018 and was already at only a 5% fee since I had gone well over the $10,000 goal.  With the new contract, Upwork began charging me 20% and now 10% all over.  Is this normal?  I've had 3 contracts with this company totaling $17152.50.  Why is upwork charging me 20% and 10% again?  Also, is there no more chat support available?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

The same thing happened to me; I started working for a different person but doing the same kind of work for the same company that I'd worked with for over a year, and the 20% service charge was applied. I contacted Upwork about it and they said that because it was a "new account", there would be no discount. It definitely isn't fair.

The good news is that because you're nearly at the two year mark, you'll soon be allowed to take them off of Upwork and pay no service charges.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

The same thing happened to me; I started working for a different person but doing the same kind of work for the same company that I'd worked with for over a year, and the 20% service charge was applied. I contacted Upwork about it and they said that because it was a "new account", there would be no discount. It definitely isn't fair.

The good news is that because you're nearly at the two year mark, you'll soon be allowed to take them off of Upwork and pay no service charges.

I wasn't aware of that two-year stipulation.  Do you know where I can read more about it?

Wesley S wrote:

I wasn't aware of that two-year stipulation.  Do you know where I can read more about it?

From the TOS: "Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party (the “Upwork Relationship”)."

I asked for clarification from Upwork myself recently, and was told that after 24 months have passed from the date that you sent your proposal, you don't have to put any more payments through Upwork.

Christine A wrote:

Wesley S wrote:

From the TOS: "Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site (the “Non-Circumvention Period”), you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party (the “Upwork Relationship”)."

I asked for clarification from Upwork myself recently, and was told that after 24 months have passed from the date that you sent your proposal, you don't have to put any more payments through Upwork.

Is it from the sending of the first proposal or from the first contact?
I think it's the second, but I'm not sure.

In the past, the moderators have said it is from the first contact. ("identified by any party through the Site")

Thanks Mary.

Maria T wrote:

Is it from the sending of the first proposal or from the first contact?

I think it's the second, but I'm not sure.

The date that you send your proposal usually is the date that you first "make contact", apparently. The thread where I asked for clarification about this is here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Disintermediation-period/m-p/616336

tlbp
Community Member

This happens when the individual contact person sets up a client account instead of the company doing so. 

lysis10
Community Member

This happened to me too. It's butts.

Happened to me too.

Upwork IS consistent.

For what it's worth, I don't think Upwork has ever claimed that this is "fair."

I would categorize it as "practical."

Preston H wrote:

Happened to me too.

Upwork IS consistent.

For what it's worth, I don't think Upwork has ever claimed that this is "fair."

I would categorize it as "practical."

Oh, okay - as long as Upwork realises that it's not fair, then that makes me feel better.

But I'm not sure how "practical" this policy is, since Upwork may soon be getting 20% of nothing from the OP, instead of 5% of something.

re: "But I'm not sure how "practical" this policy is, since Upwork may soon be getting 20% of nothing from the OP, instead of 5% of something."

That's a fair point.

But from a programming and systems management perspective, it would be pretty tricky to make this work.

joansands
Community Member

A similar thing happened to me, Wesley, but the client did not start a new contract. When the first person left, they just put on a new person - so it is still the same contract but with a new contact person.

Yeah... Unfortunately, the VP left and the account was under his name.  The CEO asked the new contact to set up their new account to continue my contract and then BAM 20% deduction after getting my 5% for only a few months.  I worked a year and a half to get to that 5%, it's not fair.  I'll have to suck it up.

Wesley:

When this happened I reached out to customer service as did the new employee at the company.

Customer Service was able to help and I was able to continue to work with new contracts and a new contact at the company at the same reduced rate.

It took several days to straighten out, but it can be done. Both you and the new employee at the company need to reach out to Customer Service.

Cheryl K wrote:

Wesley:

When this happened I reached out to customer service as did the new employee at the company.

Customer Service was able to help and I was able to continue to work with new contracts and a new contact at the company at the same reduced rate.

It took several days to straighten out, but it can be done. Both you and the new employee at the company need to reach out to Customer Service.

That's interesting, because I "reached out" to customer service and was told "tough luck". I guess it depends on who you get.

lysis10
Community Member

Wesley S wrote:

Yeah... Unfortunately, the VP left and the account was under his name.  The CEO asked the new contact to set up their new account to continue my contract and then BAM 20% deduction after getting my 5% for only a few months.  I worked a year and a half to get to that 5%, it's not fair.  I'll have to suck it up.

I feel ya. I was at $9980 with the client when he left the company and made his own account but worked as a contractor for the old company. lol It was so butts. I did another $11,000 with him. I try to make myself less angry by telling myself it's only $500 extra i gave them but yeah whatever.

eta: Oh yeah, I had another incident where this Romanian chick found me out in the wild and wouldn't pay me upfront because of trust and things and I could see where that was going, so I told her to come to Upwork where she can escrow. I thought I'd get the 0% bring your own client deal, so $350 would be $350 in my pocket. That chick got some dude she knew already on Upwork to send the escrow amount and I cursed V V V V V loudly that day. That job turned out to be a nightmare too. Never woulda gotten paid if it wasn't for escrow. lol But had to give Upwork $70. meh

I had a similar experience and talked to Upwork about it...but nothing could be done.

An Upwork client went on maternity leave for several months. Someone else was put in charge of hiring. They took out a new contract and continued working with me so my 5% freelance fee went back to 20%. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths