🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New Contract Impact on Long Term Project stat...
Page options
garygreyling
Community Member

New Contract Impact on Long Term Project stats

Hey there

I have a contract with a customer that has qualified as long term.

The nature of the contract has changed over time, and I'd like the terms of the contract to be updated to reflect my new responsibilities.

If I close and propose a new contract with more relevant wording, will my long term status with this customer restart too?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gary G wrote:

Thanks for the help Petra. I've earned the Top Rated Plus badge, and the documentation says that it requires gigs in excess of a certain value: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050417233-Top-Rated-Plus

So, even tho I retain the long term relationship, my open gig value would drop. So I might lose the Top Rated Plus, right?

But that has nothing whatsoever to do with the percentage of long term clients. For the Plus badge you need to have worked on a contract worth over whatever the value is for your category during the past 12 months.  It doesn't have to be an OPEN contract, it can be a closed one, as long as you worked on it during the last year. Remember that only a small percentage of clients even see the Plus badge though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Gary G wrote:

If I close and propose a new contract with more relevant wording, will my long term status with this customer restart too?

The "long term client" percentage is completely meaningless and has absolutely no effect on anything in any way. 

But repeat contracts with the same client count as long term relationships anyway.

Thanks for the help Petra. I've earned the Top Rated Plus badge, and the documentation says that it requires gigs in excess of a certain value: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050417233-Top-Rated-Plus

So, even tho I retain the long term relationship, my open gig value would drop. So I might lose the Top Rated Plus, right?

Gary G wrote:

But that has nothing whatsoever to do with the percentage of long term clients. For the Plus badge you need to have worked on a contract worth over whatever the value is for your category during the past 12 months.  It doesn't have to be an OPEN contract, it can be a closed one, as long as you worked on it during the last year. Remember that only a small percentage of clients even see the Plus badge though.

Petra R wrote:

For the Plus badge you need to have worked on a contract worth over whatever the value is for your category during the past 12 months.  It doesn't have to be an OPEN contract, it can be a closed one, as long as you worked on it during the last year. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be better to keep the contract that qualified the OP for plus status as "open"? If he closes it, and 12 months go by without another single project that reaches the payment threshold, wouldn't he lose his plus badge? (Unless of course, the new contract also reaches the payment threshold - but that could be a bit of a gamble.)

I'm in the same situation myself. I've never had a single project that was worth more than $5,000 (the payment threshold in my category) so the only way that I can hang onto my plus badge is to encourage my repeat clients to leave their projects open and keep adding new tasks. 

Christine A wrote:  If he closes it, and 12 months go by without another single project that reaches the payment threshold, wouldn't he lose his plus badge? (Unless of course, the new contract also reaches the payment threshold - but that could be a bit of a gamble.)

True, he would if he won't get another contract to the threshold or the new one won't reach it within a year.

Christine A wrote: I've never had a single project that was worth more than $5,000 (the payment threshold in my category) so the only way that I can hang onto my plus badge is to encourage my repeat clients to leave their projects open and keep adding new tasks. 

Is it really a "thing"? I think that so few clients see the "Plus" thing that I doubt it actually makes any difference anyway. I didn't see any increase in invites myself and I had it from the day it was introduced.

Petra R wrote:

Is it really a "thing"? I think that so few clients see the "Plus" thing that I doubt it actually makes any difference anyway. I didn't see any increase in invites myself and I had it from the day it was introduced.

I've had lots more invitations from Upwork Plus clients - they're the only ones who can see my TR+ badge, since Enterprise clients can only see my EV badge. The increase has been substantial, and over a fairly long period of time now (I got the plus badge in January), so it doesn't seem to be a fluke or a coincidence. In any case, I'd rather not take any chances about losing the badge, especially since I have nothing to gain from clients closing contracts and opening new ones.

(ETA: And even if most clients can't see the badge, maybe it affects how often and how high you appear in the search results, and/or how often you're marked "best match"?)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths