🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New Editing Scams DAILY
Page options
bundie702
Community Member

New Editing Scams DAILY

Jobs are being posted for editors daily, always with typos, inappropriate/incorrect capitalization, and misspellings; always offering good hourly pay for "entry level," and always needing multiple freelancers. Also, always posted by someone who just joined Upwork that same day. Usually cites some kind of a service or magazine launch and ends with the sentence "we will be so Happy to meet you." (as I said, incorrect capitalization). I have reported at least 4 or 5 of these jobs to Upwork. They keep appearing, usually a new one every day. Most seasoned freelancers will know these are not legitimate postings, and they are obviously posting as different people if they join Upwork the same day as the post, but can't something be done about this?

7 REPLIES 7
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bettye, 

I was unable to locate the job posts that you are referring to. Do you mind sending me a private message so that I can look into this further?

~ Avery
Upwork
bundie702
Community Member

I just sent you three links, all posted within the last one day.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bettye, 

I'll go ahead and check my private messages. 

~ Avery
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bettye, 

I'm coming back here with an update for the benefit of other Community members. As you have communicated through your private message, I can confirm that actions have been taken against these job posts, and the client accounts for violating the Upwork Terms of Service. 

Thank you for flagging these job posts for the team's review. 

~ Avery
Upwork
bundie702
Community Member

There's another one posted this morning, this one with the heading "Proofreading and Editing," as opposed to merely "Editing."

I'm sending you the link via PM.

Bettye U wrote:

There's another one posted this morning, this one with the heading "Proofreading and Editing," as opposed to merely "Editing."

I'm sending you the link via PM.

Bettye, just flag those as inappropriate, the forum mods are here to look after the forum and work in shifts, when you flag it goes directly to the team that looks after questionable job posts. If everyone pm-ed questionable job posts to the mods they'd not have time for anyone else---

"Bettye, just flag those as inappropriate."

----------------

I've done that, Petra. To clarify, I'm not posting about different scams, this is the same scam being repeated every eight hours or so. I wanted to a) bring it to people's attention that this is a unique situation in that these people are posting slightly different jobs two and three times a day (with enough similarities to know they are the same), a rather alarming frequency and one I've never seen before in all the years I've been on this platform, and b) let the moderator know that they are continuing to post jobs even after the situation has supposedly been addressed. It's like having an ant or moth infestation that doesn't go away even after the exterminator has been in.

I've done what I could to prevent people from falling for this scam, but I'm now done with this.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members