🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: New Freelance writer needs advice about p...
Page options
jagift
Community Member

New Freelance writer needs advice about private vs public profile.

I am new to freelance writing.  I am a great writer, but I don't have an extensive portfolio available, and I need to learn more about such things as Search Engine Optimization.  If I have my profile public now and I don't get any jobs for a while, will that hurt me going forward when I do have my stuff more together?  Should I wait to have a public profile until I feel more competitive?

I would appreciate any ideas or knowledge you might have.

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "If I have my profile public now and I don't get any jobs for a while, will that hurt me going forward when I do have my stuff more together?"

No.

re: "Should I wait to have a public profile until I feel more competitive?"

No.

timefighter11
Community Member

Jack G wrote:

I am new to freelance writing.  I am a great writer, but I don't have an extensive portfolio available, and I need to learn more about such things as Search Engine Optimization.  If I have my profile public now and I don't get any jobs for a while, will that hurt me going forward when I do have my stuff more together?  Should I wait to have a public profile until I feel more competitive?

I would appreciate any ideas or knowledge you might have.

Hello Jack, 

You are a great writer then write a great content for your portfolios and start bidding on relevant jobs. Upwork provides equal opportunity to new freelancers as well. I have built my profile from scratch and now have 100% JSS and good rating after working for just 2 months. 

If you are not earning for one month then Upwork makes your profile private. Keep this in your knowledge. Just be motivated, you will land on perfect jobs to do soon. 

Kind Regards,
Zeeshan

varungs
Community Member

You're a published author with 30 years of writing experience and you have an English degree... You're more qualified than most of the writers on here already. Portfolio items are important, but aren't necessary to get started. Just jump right in!

tlbp
Community Member

I know you will get varying advice on this, but I think you should raise your rate. There is a disconnect between your experience and your rate that will cause potential clients to doubt you. The type of client that you will get at your current rate is not the type of client you want or need. 

robin_hyman
Community Member

Hi Jack,

Welcome to Upwork and the world of freelancing.  I'm a marketing copywriter and started my freelancing business on Upwork.  Like you, I thought to start off with a lower hourly rate (FYI mine was $40) so I agree to aim a bit higher than $18/hour.  

As for your questions: 

* If I have my profile public now and I don't get any jobs for a while, will that hurt me going forward when I do have my stuff more together? 

No, but as others mentioned,if you don't get hired your profile will be set to private.  That doesn't mean you can't apply to jobs; your profile will be hidden when clients are doing a search. 

* Should I wait to have a public profile until I feel more competitive?

You have 30+ years experience.  You're competitive already 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members