🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New Scam Company
Page options
damaris_solis
Community Member

New Scam Company

**Edited for community guidelines**

The above link refers to a company that offered me an interview today as an "Online Administrative Assistant".  I am listed as an Family/Business Paralegal.  Its a demotion, if anything. Their message included the the skills I have listed in my profile (data entry) which is related to formwork in immigration form software programs.  They stated I was found under "Accounting" which is also not my field of expertise. Red flag.  I am wondering what kind of data they are mining within Upwork profiles.  From their job posting it appeared I would be paid  outside of Upwork.  Another red flag.  Heada up, freelancers.

5 REPLIES 5
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thanks for reporting it here so that other freelancers can be on the lookout for it.

Glad to be of help. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I get invites for Bulgarian, Finnish or Czech translation, sales manager, all kinds of stuff I don't do. Recently somebody wanted me to translate from grammar to German. I asked what language grammar was, since I do not know it. Client answered that I was well qualified and to call the CEO on skype. It is neverending fun! 

I don't know how anybody can ever fall for this stuff. I really don't. It is virtually impossible to ignore so many red flags. 

Martina P wrote:

Recently somebody wanted me to translate from grammar to German. I asked what language grammar was, since I do not know it. Client answered that I was well qualified and to call the CEO on skype. It is neverending fun! 

That might give you a clue as to the sort of person who falls for this type of thing. Lots of Upworkers have almost superhuman linguistic abilities, if their profiles are to be believed. They'd be willing to translate from Tagalog to Estonian at the drop of a hat, without knowing a word of either language.

Oh my goodness, Martina!  That is frustrating, I am sure.   Now that you mention Skype, this job posting not only gave me a link to download a "Skype" app,  they said there is an individual "waiting to speak to me right now".  I do not accept an interview until I have researched the attorney(s).  I see that many freelancers are reporting an influx of scam interviews since August 2021.  Good looking out.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members