🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New Type of Scam
Page options
kelvinnjiru84
Community Member

New Type of Scam

Has anyone else encountered this situation where a random person sends you an offer, mostly an hourly payment offer, without a job description?

Recently, I have had at least 3 such cases and I am confident that these are just scammers.

One of them needed to offer me an editing & proofreading job for $800 with the condition that I would have to pay them &200 back. They claimed that this $200 was a commission they needed to earn from the company. However, there was a catch that I had to first pay them the $200 before they confirm the milestone and release the $800 to me. In other words, I needed to use my own money to pay them $200, then "deduct" it from the $800 payment. Of course, this is plainly a scam and I am smart enough to see it. 

When this happened, I reported the case to Upwork and I hope they took the necessary measures. 

But now, my concern is, how do we protect the unsuspecting, especially new freelancers, from falling for such scams?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fe9b8d82
Community Member

How do you protect unsuspecting freelancers from falling for such scams?

By doing exactly what you're doing - reporting the scam to Upwork and posting about it here.

On the other hand, anyone gullible enough to believe that there's any legit freelancer job on Upwork that requires **YOU** to pay for the privilege of then getting paid is just screaming "PICK ME" to the scammers out there.

Sometimes people have to learn a harsh lesson to wise up and be careful.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
fe9b8d82
Community Member

How do you protect unsuspecting freelancers from falling for such scams?

By doing exactly what you're doing - reporting the scam to Upwork and posting about it here.

On the other hand, anyone gullible enough to believe that there's any legit freelancer job on Upwork that requires **YOU** to pay for the privilege of then getting paid is just screaming "PICK ME" to the scammers out there.

Sometimes people have to learn a harsh lesson to wise up and be careful.

m_terrazas
Community Member

Kelvin G wrote:

Has anyone else encountered this situation where a random person sends you an offer, mostly an hourly payment offer, without a job description?

Recently, I have had at least 3 such cases and I am confident that these are just scammers.

One of them needed to offer me an editing & proofreading job for $800 with the condition that I would have to pay them &200 back. They claimed that this $200 was a commission they needed to earn from the company. However, there was a catch that I had to first pay them the $200 before they confirm the milestone and release the $800 to me. In other words, I needed to use my own money to pay them $200, then "deduct" it from the $800 payment. Of course, this is plainly a scam and I am smart enough to see it. 

When this happened, I reported the case to Upwork and I hope they took the necessary measures. 

But now, my concern is, how do we protect the unsuspecting, especially new freelancers, from falling for such scams?

Mainly reading the TOS.

6c399a4b
Community Member

Hi bro

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members