cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New client (capegemini) scam?

Highlighted
Lakinna B Member Since: May 17, 2016
1 of 4

So, I get fake clients trying to scam me regulary because I'm considered a newbie?  Ones that want to chat via Google and want to send me a check, pay me via direct depost etc. Well, this is a new one that I want to share. The client's business name is **Edited** located in Netherlands.  I received this email from the Employee Manager today...

"Thanks for applying to the job. We have reviewed your proposal and you seem like a good fit for the position. However, before we can officially employ you, we require you to fill out a job application for business purposes. The file has been locked to prevent spam and abuse from automated programs.
You can download the application here: **Edited**
Once you have downloaded and filled out the application, proceed to send it here or to **Edited** along with any questions you may have about the job."

When I put the link in the web browser, this is what I get...

**Edited**

So, any ideas on what they're trying to get from us newbie freelancers?  Or is it possibly a bug?

Thanks all!

Lakinna

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 4

SCAM

It's no bug. Unless bug is a nice nickname for a scammer. Personally, I reserve more colorful language when I describe them. ;-)

Yes, they will target you because you are new. No, they won't stop. They're relentless and insufferably irritating. 

Don't download anything like that. They just want you to take a survey to up their #s or get you in some scam. Scammers will often use names of legit companies (like Cap Gemini) to give freelancers the idea that they're serious.

ETA: Flag the job as fraud. 

Highlighted
Lakinna B Member Since: May 17, 2016
3 of 4

Thanks Melissa.  I thought so, but also wanted to share because it's a new type of scam...at least it is for me.  Thanks for the heads up.  I will flag asap.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
4 of 4

You're too smart for them. :-) Good for you!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS