cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New client, posting a project for the first time. What is the process?

sma76
Sean A Member Since: May 8, 2017
1 of 22

Hello fellow freelancers- I am wondering what a new client has to go through when setting up their client account, posting a project for the first time, ETC.  Does Upwork actually perform any sort of verification that the "client" who is posting a project and says they are located in "Indianapolis" are not really located in Africa? The reason I am asking this is because the amount of bogus "clients" popping up everyday is ridiculous and I guess to me it makes too much sense that there would be a verification process in place to protect the Freelancers from some group overseas whose only intention is to commit fraud. I had one such "client" attempt to do that very thing to me last week, job posting said they were located in Indianapolis and after 5 minutes of research I discovered that the "business" they had listed was actually located in Africa... It takes no time at all to verify a new client, I had to verify my Freelancer account with Upwork over Skype a few months ago why cant they do the same with a new client?

Anyway, this is more of a frustration post than anything lol- But I figured I would ask since its in regards to Freelancers being able to propose to projects safely without the possibility of getting scammed...

Hope everyone is having a great day!

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 22

If a client awards me the job through Upwork and funds escrow, then I'm not too concerned if they say they're a smokin' hot lady from Coral Springs, and turn out to be an ice cold dude from Ouagadougou. If they don't do both of those things, then the deal is off. Anything that appears scammy over and above that... wanting personal details, sending checks, scope creep, dodgy dealings... I'll deal with it the same with an unverified person, as I would a verified person.

I appreciate it might be a 'nice to have', but it's also a barrier to entry that most other sites don't have. They're great for the dodgy types, but they can also scare off the non-dodgy types.   

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 22

No, they don't do any checks. You have to rely on instinct when you talk to them. As long as they open a contract, then they are fine. If I am not getting a feel that I can trust them to pay hourly, I will tell them they need to escrow. 

sma76
4 of 22

Hey Jennifer-

See thats kind of what Im talking about. Its complete BS that as a Freelancer on this site I had to go through a Skype call with Upwork to verify who I was and that I lived in the area I had listed on my profile. I dont believe its ok to subject Freelancers to that when there are bogus "clients" popping up everyday attempting to scam and fraud that unsuspecting Freelancer who might be a little to naive to realize whats going on. Upwork needs to do a better job at regulating clients more than they worry about Freelancers, this may sound pretentious but its the Freelancers who keep the money flowing into Upwork, not the clients. Without Freelancers there wouldnt be anyone to do the work.  It literally took about 5 minutes to verify my account, it would be the same to verify a client.

Anyway lol- Just venting about obvious issues that have a very simple fix

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 22

It's supply and demand... it may be the freelancers doing the work and bringing in the money, but it's the clients' money at the end of the day. Only a very small amount of Upwork's revenue comes out of the freelancers pockets (membership fees).

And unfortunately, there are considerably more freelancers here than there are clients. Implement something that gets rid of one client, and Upwork lose money. Implement something that gets rid of one thousand freelancers, and it's unlikely they'll lose anything. Some other freelancer will just do the work instead.  

So when it comes to clients, they have to take the rough with the smooth, or they might end up alienating the smooth in the process. When it comes to freelancers, there's no need to take the rough with the smooth... just ditch the rough and stick with the smooth. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
sma76
6 of 22

Hey Scott,

I understand your viewpoint- Yes a legit client brings money, what I am talking about are the bogus clients that are only here to scam people, they bring no money to the table. Additionally Freelancers pay considerably more than a small membership fee, Upwork takes 20% of what they make until they have made $500 with one client and then the percentage reduces to 10%. Thats a huge amount that Upwork makes. Sure clients bring the projects but ultimately its the Freelancers doing the work, thus providing the revenue that Upwork makes. You and I are roughly on the same page, all I am talking about is a process that weeds out the fakes from the legit. Any legit client wouldnt mind going though a verification process, a good client will appreciate the safeguards...

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 22

@Sean A wrote:

Hey Jennifer-

See thats kind of what Im talking about. Its complete BS that as a Freelancer on this site I had to go through a Skype call with Upwork to verify who I was and that I lived in the area I had listed on my profile. I dont believe its ok to subject Freelancers to that when there are bogus "clients" popping up everyday attempting to scam and fraud that unsuspecting Freelancer who might be a little to naive to realize whats going on. Upwork needs to do a better job at regulating clients more than they worry about Freelancers, this may sound pretentious but its the Freelancers who keep the money flowing into Upwork, not the clients. Without Freelancers there wouldnt be anyone to do the work.  It literally took about 5 minutes to verify my account, it would be the same to verify a client.

Anyway lol- Just venting about obvious issues that have a very simple fix

I dunno maybe I'm just used to it but I don't care so much. I don't like if they lie to me about their location but you can tell by their English if they are lying. inb4 "not all english butchers are terrible" and things and things but that's my rule and it works for me.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 22

Freelancers have a layer of protection that clients don't have--the client has (if you're using Upwork correctly) verified credit card information and, if it's a fixed price job, escrowed funds for the project.

sma76
9 of 22

Hi Tiffany,

I understand that Freelancers have a layer of protection (which is great!) and I know that clients have verified payments, but there are probably 10 clients that do not have verified payments to every 1 client that actually does have verified payments. How are those clients that do not have verified payment paying Freelancers? Thats another one of those steps to further verify a legit client from a bogus one, doesnt it make sense to insure that a new client has all of that in place BEFORE they are active and accepting proposals from Freelancers who are qualified and eager to work?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 22

@Sean A wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

I understand that Freelancers have a layer of protection (which is great!) and I know that clients have verified payments, but there are probably 10 clients that do not have verified payments to every 1 client that actually does have verified payments. How are those clients that do not have verified payment paying Freelancers? Thats another one of those steps to further verify a legit client from a bogus one, doesnt it make sense to insure that a new client has all of that in place BEFORE they are active and accepting proposals from Freelancers who are qualified and eager to work?

A lot of clients do not verify their payment methods until they have decided to hire a freelancer. That piece has been discussed at length in the past, and both Upwork clients and freelancers who have been in the position of hiring freelancers in the past have consistently said they'd have passed Upwork by if verification were required in advance of even knowing whether they'd end up using the platform (this is also consistent with my personal experience hiring freelancers in two past positions and as an individual through this platform). 

The freelancer doesn't risk anything except a couple of connects in bidding on a job without a verified payment method, because you don't start working until that verification has taken place and/or funds for a fixed price job are escrowed. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS