cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New client, posting a project for the first time. What is the process?

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
11 of 22

@Sean A wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

I understand that Freelancers have a layer of protection (which is great!) and I know that clients have verified payments, but there are probably 10 clients that do not have verified payments to every 1 client that actually does have verified payments. How are those clients that do not have verified payment paying Freelancers? Thats another one of those steps to further verify a legit client from a bogus one, doesnt it make sense to insure that a new client has all of that in place BEFORE they are active and accepting proposals from Freelancers who are qualified and eager to work?

I don't start work until they have a verified method of payment in place. I'll interview with those clients, but no work will be done until that payment method is verified and, if it's a fixed rate contract, then the agreed upon amount is escrowed. 

There's been one time in my ever lengthening Upwork experience where a client did not have a verified payment method in place. In the contract section, there was a "PAYMENT METHOD NOT VERIFIED" flag for the contract. It's a long story involving a repeat client (I know this seems weird, but I'm not at liberty to discuss the details of the interaction). 

Suffice to say, I didn't start work until all of the parameters were met. 

While I can empathize with the OP's post, I take it upon myself to interview the client (after all, I have to do this for potential clients who do not find me through Upwork) and would do so whether or not Upwork enacted a client verification system.

I'm also a client on Upwork. So, from that perspective, if I had to go through such a process, I'd likely just find a freelancer on my own and not use Upwork. 

sma76
Sean A Member Since: May 8, 2017
12 of 22

Hello fellow Freelancers-

I wanted to take a moment to post this issue, SCAMMERS that are seemingly taking over Upwork. I have posted about this issue and the Mods do a great job of telling me that there is nothing that can be done (which is complete BS) I have been getting a high volume of invitations to interview from bogus client accounts stating they are located in the US, the job is "Data Entry" (Which I do not do) and the company is **Edited for Community Guidelines** yet at the bottom of the description it says the company is **Edited for Community Guidelines** (After researching I discovered that is an oil company located in Texas that was bought out by **Edited for Community Guidelines**) after getting a few of these invites back to back I decided I would reply and show interest so I can start a dialogue with these clowns. Long story short I was able to get both scammers to admit what they were doing and that they are located in Africa (I have both conversations saved and am willing to post them here so you all can see the lengths they go through) 

Here is the bottom line- It took me less than a day to expose these scammers, and they are still on Upwork because the hilarious thing is they are still sending me interview invites even after I REPORTED THE PROFILE (why the profile is still active I dont know, way to drop the ball) I dont know why Upwork doesnt make the client registration more difficult, have measures in place where the "client" has to prove that they are in fact, legit. We as freelancers have to do it. I guess what it boils down to is the desire to keep freelancers safe, keep the scammers out and maintain the belief that Upwork is a great platform for freelancers to get real legit work. Its not that difficult, create a team and have that team do exactly what I did with the scammers that contaced me. Additionally the fact that Upwork allows "clients" to post jobs without having payment verified is beyond ridiculous, making a new client verify payment BEFORE allowing them to post a job will greatly reduce scams as well.

Again I wanted to get this out there, vent a little and point out the serious lack of oversight on Upworks behalf.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 22

What more could be said that wasn't said a month ago when you posted the same sentiments?

sma76
14 of 22

By keeping this topic going it brings awareness to new freelancers that might have been subject to the same invitations. Desperate freelancers could miss the red flags and get seriously screwed over. Maybe if enough Freelancers demand it Upwork will actually take action and put safeguards into place to protect the asset that brings them their millions of dollars each month, the freelancer...

edparsons79
Edward Leroy P Member Since: Aug 23, 2017
15 of 22

Would I miss out on real opportunities if I filter by "payment verified" only?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 22

@Edward Leroy P wrote:

Would I miss out on real opportunities if I filter by "payment verified" only?

Yes.

some of my most lucrative contracts were with clients who had not verified their payment method.

As long as you don't ever do ANY work until you are properly hired and have a contract on your My Jobs page and the client has verified their payment method before you do any work, you are pretty safe. 

sma76
17 of 22

Prime example of an ad that should never have been cleared to post...

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
18 of 22

@Sean A wrote:

Desperate freelancers could miss the red flags and get seriously screwed over. 

Desperate or not, if they don't even read the help section to understand how this platform works, then there is not much anyone can do to protect them, and I don't want to spend money on trying to prevent them from being scammed. Any attempt to make things harder for clients will cost freelancers money. Either because it will make legit clients go someplace else, or because it will drastically up the costs of running the platform, resulting in higher fees.

It is almost impossible to get scammed on Upwork if one follows the rules and uses the tools that Upwork put in place. Those tools are way sufficient to protect people from scammers.

So, no. Let Darwin take care of the people who don't read the manual. See what he did with the dodos?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
19 of 22

@Sean A wrote:

By keeping this topic going it brings awareness to new freelancers that might have been subject to the same invitations.

The only awareness your post brings are to the freelancers here who know a scam job from a legitimate job. The new freelancer do not come on here until they are scammed at which point the message they receive is to not look/apply for job or answer any invitations until you go through the help section and know not only how this site works, but what to look out for. Otherwise, unfortunately your posts falls on deaf ears.

Desperate freelancers could miss the red flags and get seriously screwed over.

And that is exactly why the get seriously screwed over, but they are not only desperate, but figure they know it all and don't need to find out how to spot scammers or how this site works.

Maybe if enough Freelancers demand it Upwork will actually take action and put safeguards into place to protect the asset that brings them their millions of dollars each month, the freelancer...

Upwork does put safeguards in place. They have procedures to follow in order to get paid, they have escrow for payment, they have algarythyms to pick out scam jobs, they have report buttons, a help center and even this discussion area. But scammers take communication off site so the only way Upwork can protect others is for a freelancer to report a client who is trying to scam them. Upwork can't monitor communication that takes place off site such as in Google Hangouts.

The BEST safeguard is the freelancer themselves. If new freelancer take the time to prepare and learn this site, then no one would be scammed. Freelancing is your business, and it is YOUR responsibility to gain the knowledge needed.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
20 of 22

@Sean A wrote:

Here is the bottom line- It took me less than a day to expose these scammers,

Excellent. It took you less than a day to expose two of the potentially hundred thousand or so scammers--and, the moment they are removed, they will start new accounts with new information. That means that if there are (conservatively) 36,000 scam jobs posted a year and every one is as easy to crack as these two, it would only take 50 Upwork employees working solely on this issue 365 days/year to keep on top of them. Of course, no one works 365 days/year, so probably 60 full-time employees would be required.

I don't want my fees raised sufficiently to cover that.

and they are still on Upwork because the hilarious thing is they are still sending me interview invites even after I REPORTED THE PROFILE (why the profile is still active I dont know, way to drop the ball) I dont know why Upwork doesnt make the client registration more difficult, have measures in place where the "client" has to prove that they are in fact, legit.

Because good, long-term clients have told us again and again that if they'd had to jump through such hoops, they would never have used Upwork.

We as freelancers have to do it. I guess what it boils down to is the desire to keep freelancers safe, keep the scammers out and maintain the belief that Upwork is a great platform for freelancers to get real legit work. 

Its not that difficult, create a team and have that team do exactly what I did with the scammers that contaced me. Additionally the fact that Upwork allows "clients" to post jobs without having payment verified is beyond ridiculous, making a new client verify payment BEFORE allowing them to post a job will greatly reduce scams as well.

See above. It will ALSO greatly reduce good-paying, long-term clients. Nobody wants that.

Again I wanted to get this out there, vent a little and point out the serious lack of oversight on Upworks behalf.

As an independent business owner, I don't feel a lot of need for someone else's "oversight." In fact, a lot of us are freelancing at least in part because we don't really want someone else's rules, hoops, restrictions, etc. impacting our work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS