Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New client using suspicious wording

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sebastian Z Member Since: Sep 17, 2017
1 of 6

Hello everyone,

I was just replying to an invite I got an hour ago. And right after answerign to it, a reply followed which I considered to have rather suspicious wording.

It consisted of a quote from another chat log, containing a message asking me to get on skype in order to see if I could fit their team (ff which there was no mention in the job description). Followed by a short, rather evasibe answer, to my questions regarding the direction they had in mind for the project, as well as any examples of the finished work they had in mind.

But what got my atention the most, is how they wrote skype (It was written sky--pe). As you know, if you were to write Skype withing a message, it's automatically highlighted in red (And it automatically displays a message, reminding you of the voice/video call options, Upwork has integrated in its messaging system). And I considered that an attempt to intentionally avoid the red highlight.

What do you think about this?

I said we could arrange a meeting (While reminding the client that upwork has its own integrated call system. Since I don't use skype) Followed by a second request to get some answers to my initial questions.

It just struck me as odd, given that it seems to be a rather new account, and this being its first job post.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Sounds like typical scammers to me.

But you do not need to risk letting a real client get away.

If they invited you to work for them, and are serious about it, then they can hire you and pay you for your time. You DO NOT NEED to spend any more unpaid time discussing the job with them.

Tell them: "Yes, I would be happy to work on the project. You can use the green Hire button to send the official offer to work on an hourly contract. I will accept the offer and then I can start doing what you need."

If this a real client, they will hire you. If they are a real client, they can explain the details of the job while you are logging time.

If they do not hire you, you know they are a scammer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

@Preston H wrote:

If this a real client, they will hire you. If they are a real client, they can explain the details of the job while you are logging time.

If they do not hire you, you know they are a scammer.

Whilst that is a great way to get rid of the "client" - typically even "real" clients are reluctant to pay for an initial short chat, genuine or not.

The mere fact that someone does not agree to pay for an interview does not make them a scammer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

re: "The mere fact that someone does not agree to pay for an interview does not make them a scammer."

I completely agree.

My advice to this freelancer should not be interpreted as a suggestion of a general practice.

This is something I suggest in a situation such as this one where we are certain that a "client" is a scammer, but a freelancer may be reluctant to end communications immediately on the off chance that the client is legitimate.

This client, who exhibited red flags while inviting a freelancer to a job he did not apply for, has the opportunity to prove himself by hiring the freelancer. And the freelancer is able to see for certain that the client is a scammer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
5 of 6

"What do you think about this?"

I think that any behavior suspicious enough to prompt one to ask about it here is usually suspicious enough to avoid the project and client.

There are exceptions, but they're rare. And this isn't one of them.

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
BEST ANSWER
6 of 6

Hi Sebastian,

You can report any job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate to us by clicking on the flagging option found on every job post. This sends a notification directly to Upwork, allowing us to investigate and take the appropriate measures. Please check out this thread about

Tips to avoid questionable jobs.

You can also send me a PM with the job post link and a screenshot of the conversation, so I can share it with the team.

-Joanne
Untitled

View solution in original post

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS