🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New clients find the process to hire a freela...
Page options
satoridea
Community Member

New clients find the process to hire a freelancer way too cumbersome.

In many cases, new clients find it difficult to simply hire a freelancer, even after interaction ensued upon response to an invite. Why is that so difficult, or not obvious from the client's side? Very often I have to guide a new client. People don't have time to fiddle... It should be obvious. Once a freelancer responded to an interview, after meaningful dialogue, and gained traction, client should be able to immediately hire the freelancer and start the contract. Why is that problematic and if not, how can I guide new clients to streamline this process? We are losing potential new clients. 

Thanks for any input. My overall experience on Upwork is positive. Thank you. But I would like things to be more streamlined and obvious/intuitive, at least from the client's side. 

Also, why keep funds in escrow even a second longer, after a client approved the work, after a week of collaboration? 

Kind regards,
Pieter van Tonder

6 REPLIES 6
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Unfortunately, I've found out -- not always -- but usually if a client can't figure it out, they turn out to be not that good of a client to work with.

satoridea
Community Member

That is definitely partly true, and I agree: serious, savvy, new clients, figure things out but, there are the newcomers, potential clients, not so savvy, who struggle a bit. We could could make it easier for them.  

Of course easier is better, as long as it doesn't make it easier for scammers to join. I'm sure it's a tough balancing act.

Good point Peter G, but then, professional freelancers are their own ultimate guard against scammers. 

Most of us who are regular Forum participants are probably too familiar with the process to be able to relate.

I don't find hiring freelancers "cumbersome." But I'm not a new client.

If Upwork wanted to gain insight into how to improve the user interface to help out new clients, I would be the last person to ask. They would need to talk to real new clients, or hire user interface testers completely unfamiliar with the platform.

Thank you. Understood and agreed. I will try and glean some insight from new clients to be able to share usefull insets. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members