🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New fonts, colours?
Page options
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

New fonts, colours?

Come on, Upwork.

You're messing with the fonts and colours of this site.

What you have done, sucks - the new fonts are extremely hard to read.

155 REPLIES 155
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sergey, 

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding the new font used on the website and the Upwork Desktop App, and I'm sorry to learn that this change has been an 

I wanted to check if there are any issues with your Desktop App. May I request a screengrab of your Desktop App and share it with us? It will also help us if you can share the version of the app, your operating system, your screen resolution, and any other details/feedback. We will pass it on to our team for review. 

However, if you are experiencing the same issue as Maria, Nikolet, and Konstantinos, the team is working on improving this experience, as Valeria has shared here.  

~ Avery
Upwork

And another issue: on Messages, the text is too small since the update and I have to zoom in on Firefox to be able to read the text comfortably!

Hi Mohammed, 

Are you able to send a screengrab of how it looks on your end after you try clearing your browser's cache and cookies? 

I checked your account, and on a Chrome browser, with a 100% zoom, the letters are displaying clearly. 
**screen shot edited as requested

If this isn't the case after basic troubleshooting steps, please share your browser's version, operating system, screen resolution, and other details/feedback. We will pass it on to our team for review. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

Thanks but I didn't want to share a screenshot of my message board.

I've cheked again, but the text is still smaller than it used to be.

Firefox 88.0 (64 bits), W7 64, Resolution: 1152 x 864.

I've tried Chrome,  same thing, the text is smaller than before the update.

I'm sorry if I had didn't blackout all the necessary information on the screengrab, Mohammed. I have removed it for now. 

I will go ahead and send you a private message so that you can send me a screen grab and I can forward it to the team. 

~ Avery
Upwork
svspit
Community Member

same issue - messages in tracker app are now in smaller font

svspit
Community Member

Hi Avery,

I won't be posting screens of my messages, but ready to email to you.

All I can say is that I see same narrow font in messages and browser - they are identical and I do not think it's just my and everyone else's opera issue.

I use opera, win 10, time tracker's version is 55011

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for sharing screenshots and more information. I appreciate your feedback and have forwarded it to the team. I'd also like to add that Opera isn't a browser we officially support.

~ Valeria
Upwork

My eyes start to water after 10 minutes on the site.  I expect you are going to have quite a few clients migrating to other, easier to read platforms. 

Having ranted (twice) I know nothing is going to change.  Upwork allows everyone to have their disgruntled say, but then carries on regardless and ignores us all. 

arulprasadj
Community Member

The new font is very hard to read on desktops and laptops. Its too bad.

1benbradley
Community Member

The new font is harder to read. 

Please increase the font size at least.

This is such a backward step, at a time of such importance.

Here is one of the screenshot. The font is really bad, sorry.

So I use Windows 10, the latest Chrome (I don't really think browsers matter here anyway)

image.png

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Phuong, 

I'll be happy to look into this further for you. Could you please try clearing your browser's cache and cookies to see if any change happens? It will also help us if you can share what browser you are using, the version, your operating system, your screen resolution, and any other details/feedback.

We will pass it on to our team for review. Thanks for your help!

~ Avery
Upwork

Lol the most terrible version so far XD

pemanchola
Community Member

Agree, and also why is the font so small? Now I have to zoom in on the browser to 133%, which messes up the layout.

Hi Patrice,

Could you try to clear your cache and cookies and check if the font is still small on your end? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I don't think it has anything to do with Cache and cookies. I tried different browsers and got the same result.

louisaj
Community Member

I'll be honest, I don't like it, it's too thin, plays havoc with my astigmatism. I like nice thick lines. :smile: 

aziz-m_shahzad
Community Member

Hello,
I'm observing the fonts issue for the last few days since the UpWork rebrand. 
The new fonts are unable to read, it seems that the fonts are stretched. Screenshot attached

I was waiting for a while, but it didn't get solved. Please let me know if it is only me having this issue & how can I solve this?

I'm using an HD screen 1920 X 1080

Best
Shahzad

PS: Before it was not like that. It happened from the last few 3 days

The new font is too TINY! I don't care to comment about the other changes as they don't disrupt my work but the updated font definitely does.

Windows 10, Chrome Version 90.0.4430.93, Dell 27 UltraSharp Monitor U2719D, 2560x1440, scaling 100%.

f045d650
Community Member

New font ain't good.

I logged in-to firefox to double check, if this was a issue with chrome.

rohan999
Community Member

I wonder one thing, Was it really necessary ?? 

It's really hard to look at something. It's more like an ameture developer is messing up with fonts of a site and can't decide which to go with. Please Upwork, take us back to the previous look and feel. It's quite uncomfortable to even look.

bubencode
Community Member

I'll add my 5 cents. The new font is really hard to read - they are too tiny and condensed, and this makes it hard and not readable at all - I have to add extra efforts to reognize letters and numbers which is not acceptable for the professional web platform like Upwork. The font looks equally bad on desktop (Chrome, Safari) and on mobiles. Upwork please revert back to the previous fonts.

arif80760
Community Member

Yes I do agree. Font is really bad this time. Please upwork change font and theme too

I think it's a concusus that this font is no bueno! No one asked for a new font so not sure why it was done. Might could have hired an Upwork designer for input beore making this change.

The new font is actually quite nice as far as form factor goes. It's much more polished, balanced, and has an overall beautiful style. Yes, it might be difficult for certain people to read as it's thinner, but maybe you could add a way to generally increase the size or weight. In any case, different from the majority here, I quite frankly salute you for the new font. I wish more sites would get rid of the candy-like fonts that are so popular these days. Good work UpWork team! BTW, what's the name of the font?

Diren Y wrote:

The new font is actually quite nice as far as form factor goes. It's much more polished, balanced, and has an overall beautiful style. Yes, it might be difficult for certain people to read as it's thinner, but maybe you could add a way to generally increase the size or weight. In any case, different from the majority here, I quite frankly salute you for the new font. I wish more sites would get rid of the candy-like fonts that are so popular these days. Good work UpWork team! BTW, what's the name of the font?

Hi Diren,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us! Our new look uses two fonts, “Upwork Neue Montreal” and “Upwork RZA."

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you. 

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Upwork needs to get serious about this and start listening! I've been on this site for 3 years now and this font is absolutely awful. It is a web *repellent*. Today I found myself bounce off the site instead of looking for jobs because I couldn't stand to look at it. I'm literally a **habitual** user of the site.. imagine what it's doing to new folks? Wouldn't be surprised if this is happening across the board. How many clients do you all have to lose for us before you figure it out?

Hi Shaun,

Can you please take a screenshot and share it with us? It will also help us if you can share what browser you are using, the version, your operating system, your screen resolution, and any other details/feedback. We will pass it on to our team for review. Thanks for your help!

~ Joanne
Upwork

There are literally 15 pages now of people who have complained about this font and sent the exact same screenshots. Only a few are due to browser incompatibilities. I'm using Firefox...

I'd send another but I literally can't bear to look at it.

"My eyes... the goggles do nothing!"

Certainly there's gotta be someone who's keeping an eye on bounce rates...

It would seem that Upwork's strategy is to appeal to larger companies through their flaws, rather than their strengths. Thats the general vibe I'm getting here.

My 2 cents:

When clientele is lacking, more connections need to be built. This will always be the case. Bigger companies will *always* look for quality first. You see this reflected in the fact they will always hire the best, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed candidate - and they never fail. They always hire the "best-looking" candidates.

If I were in Upwork's shoes, and I wanted more corporate clients creating jobs on my site, I would be spending more time and $$$ building rapport and trust through direct connections and marketing, and most importantly would ensure that I maintained a high level of quality and value in my product.

It just occurred to me this is a "Covid change" more than anything

Upwork's trying to adjust their tone to match the current state of business

That's why the new font sucks ... it's a "Covid UI"

Ok.

If anyone out there is still struggling with this new font, I want to recommend this font changer extension for Firefox. It has done wonders and prevented me from bouncing off the site.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/web-font-changer/

Also, dark theme is an *excellent* addition.

screenshot.png

Here's the link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/darkreader/

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members