🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New freelancer - Need advise - Client closed ...
Page options
dusanmilojevic
Community Member

New freelancer - Need advise - Client closed contract whilst 50% only was in escrow - Unresponsive

The client has set a budget of 10$ - I have accepted to work as I am new on UpWork.

The job title indicated a "Simple" Intro and Reverb edit ( Video Editing ).

The client has requested 20 different trailer renders with different instructions, more than 15 revisions even though that is what she asked for - I didn't mind this too much, I delivered and she said : "Thank you so much you have been great!" but the client has ENDED the contract with only 5$ being paid, 1$ is fee and I used 6 contact points to contact here so I feel this was really not nice.

She is unresponsive for 7 days now , tried e-mail and UpWork chat.

As I am new here I need help on how to approach this situation.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Dusan M wrote:

The client has set a budget of 10$ - I have accepted to work as I am new on UpWork.

The client has requested 20 different trailer renders with different instructions, more than 15 revisions even though that is what she asked for - I didn't mind this too much, I delivered and she said : "Thank you so much you have been great!" but the client has ENDED the contract with only 5$ being paid, 1$ is fee and I used 6 contact points to contact here so I feel this was really not nice.

First of all, if you're not happy to do a lot of work for $10, then don't bid on projects that pay $10. Secondly, if a project is only worth $10, then don't agree to work on it if only $5 (!) has been funded.

There's nothing that you can do now except to learn from this experience and not let it happen to you again. Just because a client says that their task is "simple" doesn't mean that you have to agree with them - you're the one who knows how long a project should take, so YOU need to tell THEM what it will cost. Calculate the number of hours required, including the number of revisions that you're willing to provide (which you clearly state in your proposal), multiply by your desired hourly rate, and allow extra for the Upwork service charges and connect fees. That's the price that you quote. Then stand your ground and don't do any work if they don't put the correct amount of money into escrow.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Dusan M wrote:

First of all, if you're not happy to do a lot of work for $10, then don't bid on projects that pay $10. Secondly, if a project is only worth $10, then don't agree to work on it if only $5 (!) has been funded.

There's nothing that you can do now except to learn from this experience and not let it happen to you again. Just because a client says that their task is "simple" doesn't mean that you have to agree with them - you're the one who knows how long a project should take, so YOU need to tell THEM what it will cost. Calculate the number of hours required, including the number of revisions that you're willing to provide (which you clearly state in your proposal), multiply by your desired hourly rate, and allow extra for the Upwork service charges and connect fees. That's the price that you quote. Then stand your ground and don't do any work if they don't put the correct amount of money into escrow.

Thanks Christine, that's very helpful! - Being new this helps a lot!

Already did 7 jobs in 7 days!

Cheers and best regards!

Dusan M wrote:

Thanks Christine, that's very helpful! - Being new this helps a lot!

Already did 7 jobs in 7 days!

That's fantastic - but 7 jobs in 7 days is (to me) a clear sign that you should be charging more.

Congratulations on landing so many jobs!  Sounds like you will be successful here.  I agree with what some others have told you, though.  You should charge more for your services. Nevertheless, you got your foot in the door, and that's a start. 

As for the recent disappointing transaction with your client, it's a rookie mistake.  We all made some, I'm sure.  If only half the money is in escrow, then discuss with the client that you assume that means they are dividing the work into TWO milestones and are only funding the first half of the project with the intention of funding the second half when they are ready for you to complete it.  If they agree to those terms, then only submit half the work for their approval to continue. If they like it and want you to finish, then they can fund the 2nd milestone and you can do the rest of the project.  If they want it all in one milestone, then advise them they will need to fund the entire project up front.  Once you have submitted an entire project for only half the agreed upon amount, there is nothing that can be done but rely upon the integrity of the client to make it right. Unfortunately, this client is the type who took advantage of your lack of complete knowledge about how this platform works since you are new.  Don't hold your breath waiting for him to do the right thing. He never intended to in the first place.

In the meantime, raise your rates so you can get some "serious" clients who aren't as likely to be out to take advantage of you. Best of luck to you!

mtngigi
Community Member

Dusan M wrote:

As Christine states ... lesson learned. Make sure milestones are fully-funded before starting any work. That said, it is really hard to imagine a client so cheap that she did not fund such a measly sum of money.

Another lesson - it's never worth your time or skills to work with cheap clients ... they are invariably the worse clients to work with.

Thank you for the additional words of advise, however 5-10$ is far from measly for me I was just disapointed that the person did not escrow the entire budget as agreed, but now I understand that only the Escrow funds can be mediated by UpWork and forced to be released!

Thank you again.

Dusan M wrote:

Thank you for the additional words of advise, however 5-10$ is far from measly for me I was just disapointed that the person did not escrow the entire budget as agreed, but now I understand that only the Escrow funds can be mediated by UpWork and forced to be released!

Thank you again.

$10 is a measly sum for a client to offer when expecting that much work, or for that matter, any work. What it is to you was not my point.  I'd describe clients like this with words that would be immediately edited by a mod.

I hope you're able to leave appropriate feedback so that no one else will want to work with her.

ETA: If only Upwork would do the right thing, the simple thing, and raise that $5 rate - for a platform selling itself as it has been as a place to find talented professionals ... that amount is an embarrassment.

lysis10
Community Member

Dusan M wrote:

lol you fell for like 30 freelancer bait moves clients use a lot on here. I guess you'll learn soon enough. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members