cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New freelancers should show on their profile id they are "ID Verified"

Highlighted
Brian W Member Since: Sep 6, 2015
1 of 4

I couldn't find anywhere to offer improvements to Upwork. So I'd like to voice my concerns here. I am an agency and I employee many Upwork freelancers. Lately an issue has come up where I wanted to hire a new freelancer. This person had no job experience and was a new profile. Other than that they had all the necesarry experience based on their profile. Unfortunately because Upwork does not display on the freelancers profiled that they are "ID Verified" (I believe that Elance had this) ... then it's very concerning to me that this person could be anyone. They could be a hacker attempting to infiltrate my organization, a previous fired freelancer with a bad taste in his mouth, ..etc etc...

So I'm wondering why Upwork does not take security seriously, and also inform hiring managers that a new freelancer has had their ID verified or not. Upwork is losing money due to this, and new freelancers are routinely "un-hirable" because of this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
2 of 4

@brian W wrote:

I couldn't find anywhere to offer improvements to Upwork. So I'd like to voice my concerns here. I am an agency and I employee many Upwork freelancers. Lately an issue has come up where I wanted to hire a new freelancer. This person had no job experience and was a new profile. Other than that they had all the necesarry experience based on their profile. Unfortunately because Upwork does not display on the freelancers profiled that they are "ID Verified" (I believe that Elance had this) ... then it's very concerning to me that this person could be anyone. They could be a hacker attempting to infiltrate my organization, a previous fired freelancer with a bad taste in his mouth, ..etc etc...

So I'm wondering why Upwork does not take security seriously, and also inform hiring managers that a new freelancer has had their ID verified or not. Upwork is losing money due to this, and new freelancers are routinely "un-hirable" because of this.

I imagine for the same reason that clients are able to post jobs without having ID verified or a payment method in place. They are allowed to offer contracts without funding and then disappear without paying. I understand your frustration, but there's only so much that can be done when there are millions of people on this platform and scammers on both sides are trying to scam as many people as possible before they get caught, kicked off, and come back with a new identity.

As contractors, we are required to jump through a lot of hoops to ensure that we are not taken advantage of. Clients are required to use the same protections to avoid freelancer scams. As an agency, I think you're subject to the same difficulties the rest of us have. There are no guarantees here, but hopefully as more people become educated about the platform the scammers will be less frequent.  

Highlighted
Brian W Member Since: Sep 6, 2015
3 of 4

I agree that it may be frustrating on both ends , but in regards to ID verification, Upwork is already doing it for freelancers ... (I know because I am also a freelancer) Smiley Happy

So it wouldn't take much for them to note that someone has been "ID Verified" on their profile. It could go both ways (new jobs/new freelancers) if they wanted it to, but all I'm asking for is some common sense. Elance used to have it (an icon showing the person is "verified")

It's not that difficult and offers a whole heckuva lot more peace of mind when dealing with someone who is new, or has no work history...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
4 of 4

@brian W wrote:

I agree that it may be frustrating on both ends , but in regards to ID verification, Upwork is already doing it for freelancers ... (I know because I am also a freelancer) Smiley Happy

So it wouldn't take much for them to note that someone has been "ID Verified" on their profile. It could go both ways (new jobs/new freelancers) if they wanted it to, but all I'm asking for is some common sense. Elance used to have it (an icon showing the person is "verified")

It's not that difficult and offers a whole heckuva lot more peace of mind when dealing with someone who is new, or has no work history...

I agree, believe me. But 'verified' doesn't always stay verified. There are countless stories on here of clients and freelancers being verified only to have a situation come up weeks or months later that causes them to be 'unverified' and prevents payment, jobs completed, etc. I don't know what the process is for verification for either clients or freelancers, but it can't be too detailed if it can be undone so easily later on. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS