cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

arqarias
Cesar A Member Since: Aug 5, 2016
1 of 9

Hi, I've been in upwork for a little more than a month, but I just discovered this forum today while I was looking for a way to answer a question I have, I got an invitation 2 weeks ago, I got interviewed and started to work, but I see the job is still open with 23 people being interviewed and 1 hired(Who isnt me), its a good client with almist $70k paid in projects, I'm sure he is legit and all that, but it's my first job in here(despise the more than 50 proposals I sent) and I really want to know when I'll be paid, because I already made half the work, I havent done the other half because I need the client to approve the drafts I sent him before I start working on the interiors renders, if someone could answer my question and tell me if I'm doing something wrong that would be awsome, thanks.

tsimi
Matsimanyane T Member Since: Aug 5, 2016
2 of 9

I feel you, bro. I have just been invited to send my details to **Edited for Community Guidelines** and an upfront payment in order to access jobs and work immediately. I discovered this is a scam. So they use a platform like UpWork to take advantage of people's desperation. I am not certain about your situation, whether the client is authentic or not. However, please be wary.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 9

come on people. An official company using a gmail addy? THINK

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
4 of 9

@Cesar A wrote:

Hi, I've been in upwork for a little more than a month, but I just discovered this forum today while I was looking for a way to answer a question I have, I got an invitation 2 weeks ago, I got interviewed and started to work, but I see the job is still open with 23 people being interviewed and 1 hired(Who isnt me), its a good client with almist $70k paid in projects, I'm sure he is legit and all that, but it's my first job in here(despise the more than 50 proposals I sent) and I really want to know when I'll be paid, because I already made half the work, I havent done the other half because I need the client to approve the drafts I sent him before I start working on the interiors renders, if someone could answer my question and tell me if I'm doing something wrong that would be awsome, thanks.

If you haven't been hired there is a good chance you may not get your money.  Don't ever start a project until you have been hired through UPwork and escrow has been funded or payment verified. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 9

@Cesar A wrote:

Cesar,

Did you start work without an official Upwork contract? Your client should have either set a milestone with the agreed amount funded into escrow, or you should have been working hourly with the tracker turned on. If you haven't done either of these things, you are unlikely to be paid.

However, if as you say, your client has a good track record, then I would try and contact him/her and get the situation formalized if possible.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 9

It is possible to a job to still be open, even after you were hired for the job.

It just means that the client didn't close the job, or that the client is hiring other people for the job.

So whether or not a job is open tells you nothing.

If you click on your "My Jobs" tab and see a job listed, you were hired. Otherwise, you were NOT hired.

arqarias
Cesar A Member Since: Aug 5, 2016
7 of 9

Thanks, Nichola, it's my first job here, that's why I didnt know about the milestone thing, it's a fixed price job, I'll ask him to formalize the deal, im very grateful for your answer.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 9

@Cesar A wrote:

Thanks, Nichola, it's my first job here, that's why I didnt know about the milestone thing, it's a fixed price job, I'll ask him to formalize the deal, im very grateful for your answer.

Cesar, unless you were hired (the job is there when you click on your My Jobs tab) it is not your first job here, it is not a job AT ALL. Unless that client hires you properly on Upwork he could not pay you even if he wanted to.....

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 9

Hi Cesar,

I checked and it doesn't look like you've had a contract on Upwork. As others pointed out you need to have a contract before you start working with a client. Otherwise you can't get paid. The client has to send you an offer with all the terms and rates. Once you accept that offer you'll see an active contract under your My Jobs tab. Also, before you start working, make sure that the client's payment method is verified and at least first milestone is funded if the job is fixed-price.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS