🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New message notification not working??
Page options
k_pitman
Community Member

New message notification not working??

I've noticed the past week my new message counter isn't being updated on the header bar. I missed a couple of messages over the weekeend because of that. The main page didn't have the alert message in the header so had no reason to go into messages. But if you go into messages, it's showing there that you DO have messages and are properly highlighted on that screen.

It's been rock solid up until the last week. I've cleared cache, reset my laptop etc. Not sure if this is a bug, chrome issue or what. Not sure if this is just me or if others have seen this.

41 REPLIES 41
JoanneP

Hi Kevin,

Do you also log in or check your Upwork messages using another device? If you do, this will also prompt the system to no longer show you the notification since you already logged in and checked from another device. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
k_pitman
Community Member

I usually only use my laptop. On occasion I use another device but like I said, this only started recently. Let me try loggin out everything and do the save option. Maybe there's just a setting bug or something.

It's still happening and now I see others have the same problem. I guess someone broke the updater function pushing notifications to the home screen.

biswas-jotti
Community Member

Since last few days new message counter isn't being updated on the header section if I received any new message.
I have logged out and cleared browser cookies and cache. Is anyone facing this kind of issue or is there any solutin ?

Same here! I have to check my message page every so often or I'll miss it. Just happened 10 minutes ago as well.  I posted the other day and they tried to blame it on mobile app on another device. Everything was working fine until recently. You're not alone!

I've had that problem for nearly two years. It's another Upwork bug. You gotta ignore that little helpful (or unhelpful in this case) piece of code that was programmed to show the number of messages, and just go in there often. 

Have the same issue too.

Heorhii H wrote:

Have the same issue too.

Yup, it's a site wide bug. Everyone has that issue. 

j_stegnjaic
Community Member

Hi, I am having trouble with missing message notifications.I checked the Community and didn't find any solution. I am kindly asking to let me know what more can I do to fix the problem? Thank you

Hi Jovana, 

Are you referring to email notifications for unread messages or the message counter that shows on the navigation panel at the top of the page on your account?

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Missing notification refers to the message counter at the navigation panel at top of the page.

Jovana,

Thanks for clarifying. I've been looking into this issue and I've merged your post into a thread with similar reports. Since your report is the most recent, we'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly for more information. I'll be sharing this thread with the team for further investigation as well. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

I think this is a site-wide issue.

I left 2 tabs open overnight, one on the Jobs feed page and the other on the messsages tab.

When I checked it in the morning, the Jobs feed page doesn't have any message notification but the other tab has (7).

This is going on for about a couple of weeks.

PS: No tickets for me please.

adgcarr
Community Member

I had notifications that came to my phone, but now I don't get any indicators of a new message (not on my phone, not when I log in using my laptop, I don't see a flag on the messages to indicate a new message, there is literally nothing) and I suspect my clients don't either because everyone is suddenly unresponsive. Is there a fix?

Hi Alicia,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
bvigursky
Community Member

Hello! For many weeks, I don't see notification of new messages on the site, which is why I lost several clients and contracts, since I don't see in time that they wrote something to me. I've attached a video with a detailed reproduction of this bug: **Edited for community guidelines**

Thank you,

Bohdan

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bohdan,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. This is a known issue and our engineers are looking into it. I will go ahead and follow up your concern with our team so that they can get back to you once they have more information.

~ Bojan
Upwork
randymyers
Community Member

I've noticed for the last week or so that when I'm on the Job Feed page that there is no indication as to whether or not I have unread messages even though when I actually go to the messages page, there will be unread messages there.  Anyone else noticing this?

Thanks 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Randy,

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. This is a known issue and our engineers are looking into it. We appreciate your patience while our team is working on fixing this issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork

OK, thanks !

p_kumar_mondal
Community Member

Message notification not showing on the web. But When click the message tab then it appears.

check the attached image. I'm facing many problems with it. Please help me. Thank You.

Hi Prosanta,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
ahtisham_zaheer
Community Member

Dear Fellows. 
I am facing strange problem from last two weeks. I cannot see new text message notification in web of upwork until i do not click on messages , then i know new messages arrived. from this week i cannot see notification of inviation. A client send me invitation and i found it today after 14 hours from my purposals and after 20 hours i saw bell icon notificaton about invitation. 

How can i refresh this bug ?

Thanks in Advance. 

I can't answer you but I'd like to say that I'm having this issue as well, although it only started today. I'm not getting notifications for invitations. I eventually received three notifications for invitations that were sent more than eight hours before, but there were other invitations that I didn't receive anything about.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Laura and Ahtisham,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via support tickets to assist you with this issue. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
j_spitler
Community Member

I have noticed in the last few days that I am no longer receiving email notifications when clients post messages about current projects. I have not changed any settings. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeannie,

Email notification is not sent if a message is registered as "read". A message would register as "read," when Messages are open in a browser tab or in the desktop app. Did you by chance have Upwork.com open in your browser or had Messages open in the desktop app?

~ Bojan
Upwork
j_spitler
Community Member

I don't believe either one to be the case. I do not use the app and only open Upwork when I receive notifications. 

Hi Jeannie,

Thank you for following up. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page

~ Nikola
Upwork
k_pitman
Community Member

Any update on this known issue? Would be nice to have that alert icon back on the home page to let us know if we get a new message.

Hi Kevin,

Our team is currently investigating the issue. Once we have more information, we will post an update in this thread. Thank you for your patience. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Jeannie,

Email notification is not sent if a message is registered as "read". A message would register as "read," when Messages are open in a browser tab or in the desktop app. Did you by chance have Upwork.com open in your browser or had Messages open in the desktop app?

I'm a bit late to this thread but thought it important to point out that a new message does not register as "read" until I click on the thread. It doesn't matter if I leave Messages open all day long. For instance, I may be exchanging messages with Client A and Client B sends me a new message. Client B's message remains highlighted as "unread" and the message alert at the top of the screen remains activated until I click on the thread with Client B's messages. 

11f7a755
Community Member

The message notification only shows up when I click on it to enter chat. I have to rely on email messages. Not sure if a cache problem but I do not wish to delete my browser files. Any solution?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zeeshan,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this issue. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Our engineering team has confirmed that they released a fix for this issue this week. Please, let us know if you still observe the new message counter displaying incorrectly on your account. 

Thanks for your patience while we were working on getting this fixed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,
I am experiencing the same issue. I check my messages when I get email notification or UW app alert. I didnt get any of those. When I opened the app I came to know I have got 5 messages. The notifications and alerts are really helpful in ensuring prompt responses. Can this be fixed?

Hi Salima,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

I am experiencing this issue yet again. I have clients replying to messages for current projects and am not receiving an email notification. This stopped working within the last two weeks. Please advise. 

Hi Jeannie,

Just to confirm, you didn't receive an email notification but when you opened your home page was there a number for new messages next to the Message button? 
Could you also confirm if you had your account opened on another device/app? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members