Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

heh

Highlighted
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
1 of 18
Well fellow 'lancers, oDesk has made new changes I am not sure were announced or many of you are aware of. We all know that clients are "charged" the 10% oDesk fee right? Great. In the past, when a client prepared a contract, or even accepted a bid by a contractor, there was a field that clearly listed how much the contractor was being paid for the work, and a separate field that listed the oDesk fee. In the great wisdom of the monkeys that program the system, they have decided to do away with the field that shows the oDesk fee. Now only showing "contract amount" when a new contract is created. While this may not be a problem for those who build the fee into their bid, it is a big issue for those of us who don't. From a client's point of view, it also makes it seem as if the contractor is the one responsible for paying that fee. First, they removed upfront payment options from many listings, now they are hiding the fee field, which will leave many who are new to the platform in the dark about the fee charged and why their contractor bids a certain way. I am really annoyed personally as both a client and a contractor. As a contractor, I will now have to "explain" to any new clients about this oDesk fee (not that I take on many new ones these days). As a client, I am annoyed for two reasons, the first, I happened to be setting up a large project, I hired and started contracts for 8 people that have worked for me numerous times in the past. While setting up the contract, I didn’t really pay attention to the fields, but put the agreed payment amount as usual in the "contract amount" area. (this usually says "contractor receives this amount-this is now gone). Of course, I usually pay the oDesk fee. Color me surprised when I get several messages, some confused, some a bit upset, asking me why I set up a contract for less than agreed! After much confusion, I found the problem. So of course I have the fun of manually calculating the oDesk charge, and changing all the contracts- Great Work oDesk! Secondly, it is really a stupid update that will just make clients assume that people are really "cheap to hire" on this platform. Granted a lot are, but there is also a great number that are not, myself and the people I hire included. Well, that is my bit of information for you all today. Ill try to get some screen shots to post later to show what I mean. I am also wondering, is oDesk changing their model to charge the contractor now? this is the only thing that can be assumed from their new form structure since nowhere in the client hiring process does it mention the 10% fee any longer.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 18
Oh! This explains why I got 10% less than the agreed amount with a new contract from one of my favorite clients. I didn't ask her why is it that she is paying me a bit less compared to the agreed amount (well, she's one of my favorite clients!) but now I feel better knowing that she didn't do it on purpose. oDesk is getting weirder these days...one of my contractors keeps asking me to release payment but I cannot do so unless he messages me on the milestone I created. I explained to him he needs to send a short note on the milestone or deliver work there so oDesk would allow me to release payment through the approve button (because I deposited the full payment already). Lots of things here now that bother me both as a freelancer and as a client...

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 18
I do think that you should contact your client and explain, it is 100% certain that she is not aware and I am sure she would also voice her opinion to oDesk as a client, which is needed to fix this issue. At least they should have a message that details the changes for clients on the hiring page to avoid confusion. Not only will it make some great contractors decide not to work with a client (since it will seem like they are being cheated, though it is oDesk fault), but it will also make just as many clients not hire qualified contractors, since they also will think that a contractor is up to something (though they actually are not). As for the milestone issue, I have not been presented with that hiring form, but I hope to never be. I like the eLance milestones, but they have a full support system that goes with it. On oDesk, if I am not hiring for fixed price, I opt for hourly, milestones are just asking for trouble. after all, you have to log in to manually release it, so it is no less work than if you were to log in an manually send a milestone payment anyway.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 18
I will point my client to this thread then, just to be sure she'd get the whole picture. Oh and my contractor's work won't do for an hourly job, he is taking pictures of spices in India so its a fixed price job. He did send me an angry message about me not sending payment and I repeatedly have to send him the link for the new fixed price protocol (https://support.odesk.com/entries/23153768-New-Fixed-Price-System-for-Freelancers). It took him a few milestones to finally get how the new system works. I also sent him screenshots of how to do it and I understand why he got upset so its no biggie for me, but oDesk is really messing things up.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
5 of 18
One can't really help it but scratch his head and @#$@#!! Without notice (I didn't see one) oDesk implemented another Ball Buster and a serious one at that. Imagine the face of contractors seeing there fees not as agreed upon between him and the client? And the Clients face receiving communication from their contractors (some would definitely be not so polite with their words)for lowering agreed rates. Won't be a surprise we'll have a lot of MIA contractors rants by Clients. Don't care much for the Abusive, Exploitative Clients but I Feel for the Great Clients here at oDesk. oDesk my oDesk, where do you get this Bright Ideas?????
Community Guru
6 of 18
[quote=Reynaldo M.] oDesk my oDesk, where do you get this Bright Ideas?????[/quote] From the monkeys they hired to do their market research, programming and implementation. I agree there will be a whole new host of complaints on both ends, also, as Diane mentioned, there is an issue with the milestone system, which will also result in open tickets from contractors on non-payment, and clients on non-delivery (though neither party is at fault, but rather the faulty system)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
7 of 18
I would hate to think that oDesk Corporate Philosophy on hiring talents are the same as those clients being featured in the threads "Cheap Jobs". But with all the @#$@ being develop and implemented it would seems like it.
Highlighted
Rico E Member Since: Aug 15, 2010
8 of 18
Thanks Heather for bringing this up. Now I understand what my client meant when she said "it's for the same rate as last time, not sure how it will show up for you, this screen didn't show odesk fees." Good thing that my client was thoughtful enough to mention it. This creates a lot of strain in client-freelancer relationship especially when both just started working together. Oh oDesk... what's happening to you?
Highlighted
Jeffery W Member Since: Dec 1, 2014
9 of 18

I submitted a ticket to oDesk and they seemed to feel proud of themselves for simplifying the payment process and invited me to leave feedback on the new system.  

oDesk no longer shows what the contractor receives at any type of payment screen.  

I am continually losing money because of this and this change was a terrible idea, especially when they didn't even tell us about it beforehand.

Those of us who noticed are lucky enough to work with kind clients who are patient enough to make an extra payment or two.  I just worry that their patience will run out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
10 of 18
Thanks for the notification - will make sure to talk it thorough with my repeat clients. It's really amazing how there's all this talk about 'improving the way changes are communicated to oDesk users' and in the end we end up finding out about important stuff like this being changed by trial and error. It's like a twisted version of Google's Easter eggs.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS