cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New on oDesk, problem with hiring

Highlighted
David V Member Since: Jun 26, 2014
1 of 11
Hi everybody! I'm an Italian freelancer, and I'm pretty new here on oDesk. As I can see in this forum, I have a classic problem: I'm not able to be hired, I can't even get an interview. I followed all the advices provided by oDesk: I completed my profile (personal "smiling" picture, portfolio, education and working experiences, tests concerning my fields, etc.), I took a lot of tests (all scoring from "First place" and "Top 30%"), I check out for jobs everyday (I have far more than 20 active applications), I write original cover letters in perfect English every time I apply for a job (and always offering free tests to check my skills, asking questions about the project, focusing on previous experiences, etc.). My rate is pretty fair according to me, my profile is concise and straight to the point... what am I missing? What should I do? I'm begging you to help me, all this wasted time is driving me crazy. Thank you anyway and have a nice day.
Highlighted
Ljiljana Z Member Since: Jun 15, 2014
2 of 11
Hi,I have problem ..I don't know where and how I put my work hours on oDesk
Highlighted
3 of 11
It should be from your profile page, just beneath your profile picture.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 11
You scored a 4.90 in English to Italian translation skills, but it is showing up as Below Average. Very strange.
Highlighted
5 of 11
That sounded strange to me too. Consider that my Excel test scored 2.60 and was tagged as "Above average". Maybe oDesk inverted the two tags...?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 11
Either there is a bug or the average score was close to a perfect score meaning that either the test was ridiculously easy or almost everyone cheated. You can contact support and find out and hide the score in the meantime.
Highlighted
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
7 of 11
It took me 1.5 months and 20 applications to finally score my first contract. My profile was sufficient to gain me jobs, but I had to start a slightly lower hourly rate (not ridiculously silly low) as a newbie, that is my advice. I worked my way up after gaining positive feedback and review from first contract. Good luck!
Highlighted
8 of 11
Maybe it's just a question of time and patience... I hope so, since I really like this kind of job. Thank you anyway!!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
9 of 11
Hi David, Things will get better. We've all been where you are (waiting to secure contracts). Keep applying and polishing your profile. As you gain contracts and positive feedback, your profile will become more attractive to clients and eventually they'll start to approach you. All the best. Gill
Highlighted
10 of 11
This is very comforting. I have made many changes and presently have 2 candidacies and 1 interview... it's not a real job yet, but we are getting closer. Thanks anyway!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS