cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New payment method - TransferWise**

Highlighted
Jantine V Member Since: May 19, 2017
41 of 58

Roughly 1.5 years since this topic was started, I'm afraid Upwork is not actually looking into the option of adding Transferwise... I too am getting sick of losing about 2.5% of my hard-earned money every time I make a transfer with Paypal. This month I basically worked an hour and a half to pay conversion fees!

Francesco C Member Since: Jan 4, 2016
42 of 58

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for this.

FX fees are too lucrative to give up.

Upwork makes it more and more difficult for freelancers to get by.

I am personally avoiding getting work from Upwork now as it's just not worth the hassle. I'd need to double my rate to make it worth.

Vebjørn L Member Since: May 23, 2017
43 of 58

Actually TransferWise just launched their Borderless account which would be perfect for this! Can we make this happen soon? I'm tired of Paypal that restricts people by the country they created their account in.

Ace Contributor
Andrei C Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
44 of 58

There was a Q&A forum session yesterday and of course this topic was raised. I got a reply from Upwork's Payment Product Lead who said the following:

Thanks for the feedback. We have heard the same concern from some of the other freelancers as well. We have escalated the concern with our current processing partner, Transfast.com. We are actively working on this issue and identifying solutions to address the freelancer concerns. Expect some positive changes this year related to this topic.

Thanks.

Aneetha (Payment Product Lead)

So, as long as you have access in your Upwork account to add a Direct to Local Bank payment, that uses the Transfast.com service, which seems to be pretty much the same thing as TransferWise.com. Currently, they have an issue with Transfast.com that they use a much lower rate (e.g. last week on 17 May, my transfer from Upwork according to Upwork's generated email used a USD/RON rate of 3.94, while the rate from xe.com (world's authority on exchange rates) was between 4.09 and 4.25, closing at 4.10). According to Aneetha this should be corrected soon this year.

I don't know if Direct to Local Bank is available to absolutely everyone in Upwork but it's a step forward to see Upwork is using something like TransferWise.com.

Regards,

Andrei

Ace Contributor
45 of 58

Upwork freelancers, TransferWise finally works! Read all about it: *** Edited for Community Guidelines ***

Community Leader
Susanne D Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
46 of 58

That looks definitely interesting for me as an alternative to paying 30 USD for each transfer. Does transferwise have any restrictions as to countries - like Paypal?

Ace Contributor
47 of 58

Hi Susanne, I placed 2 links for supported countries and supported currencies towards the beginning of the article: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Leader
Susanne D Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
48 of 58

Thx - looks like I should try to create this account and see if I can add it to UW. IF transferwise will accept me ...

Heliton N Member Since: Nov 9, 2015
49 of 58

Any update on this? I would love to be able to transfer my money to Transferwise too.

Ace Contributor
50 of 58

I tried leaving a URL but it got deleted by the moderators. Bottom line is that Upwork and TransferWise work great together. For all the details on how I got that all set up you could search my name on google: Andrei Condurachi and then visit my site for the full article on Upwork + Transferwise.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS