🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New project from a client I've billed over $5...
Page options
john-sears
Community Member

New project from a client I've billed over $500. Upwork fee is 10%, not 5%. Why?

I have a client I've worked for whome I've worked on several projects. The fees from those projects are in excess of the $500 threshold, but the last project he sent shows Upwork taking 10% instead of the expected 5% per hour.

I have other clients who I've reached the $500 threshold and their additional projects dropped to 5% Upwork fees. I expected this one to be the same. Am I misunderstanding how this works or is this an error in Upwork's fee calculation?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

5 REPLIES 5
versailles
Community Member

$0—$500: 20%

$501—$9,999: $10

$10,000+: 5%

Per client, lifelong.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Sorry, messed up the percentages.

Upwork is taking 20% when I expect Upwork to be taking 10%. (rather than my originally stated 10% and 5%).

John S wrote:

Upwork is taking 20% when I expect Upwork to be taking 10%. (rather than my originally stated 10% and 5%).

Is the client using the exact same account?

If it is the same client but a different client account, it starts at 20% 

This client has hired me to work  on Company A. Now hiring me to work on Company B. He owns both companies, so wouldn't he be considered a "long time client"? Is there something on the backed I'm not seeing that is flagging this as two different companies?

John:
If the client is hiring from different Upwork accounts, because they represent different companies, or for any other reasons, then the dollar amounts are separate.

The only way that the dollar amounts could be combined is if you worked specifically with Upwork Customer Support and they did this on the back-end. There is nothing you can do yourself to make that happen.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members