Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New proposal

zelomi
Community Leader
Carol U Member Since: Jun 12, 2017
1 of 6

So after sending endless propossals, I got yet another interview (yeah me)

Anyway, the client asked me translate the first page of his website and take it from there. Now, based on his 5 star feedback, 14 of them, I am sure he is not necessarily asking for free work, just a way to vet candidates. 

So instead I translated the first paragraph as a sample, send it to him, and told  him that if he liked my work he can then create a contract and we will take it from there. I think that was the right thing to do. But do you think I should have acted in a different manner?

Kind regards!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Carol, it's a bit of a "play it by ear" thing.

Strictly speaking free work is free work. Asking for free sample translations is a terms of service violation.

A page is 100% over the top as a free sample in my personal opinion.

To me it also depends on the value of the potential contract. A few hundred Dollars? No, not going to do any **bleep** samples.

Multiple thousands of Dollars? Sure, I'll invest a bit of time if it makes sense.

But strictly speaking if the client wants a page translated as a test he can set up a contract with every freelancer he or she is testing.

zelomi
Community Leader
3 of 6

@Petra R wrote:

Carol, it's a bit of a "play it by ear" thing.

Strictly speaking free work is free work. Asking for free sample translations is a terms of service violation.

A page is 100% over the top as a free sample in my personal opinion.

To me it also depends on the value of the potential contract. A few hundred Dollars? No, not going to do any **bleep** samples.

Multiple thousands of Dollars? Sure, I'll invest a bit of time if it makes sense.

But strictly speaking if the client wants a page translated as a test he can set up a contract with every freelancer he or she is testing.

Thanks, Petra. 

That's what I thought as well. And that is also the impression I got from spending an incredible amount of hours reading the forums. 

It is a small project for which I am not even charging him a lot. So if I was to translate a whole page that would be almost half the job done. Hence why I only did the first paragraph (which took me about a minute) and told him that if he was happy with my work he could set up the contract. If he is not happy and wants to go with somebody else, then at least I am not wasting my time nor doing free work. 

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
Alya U Member Since: Jun 11, 2017
4 of 6

@Petra R wrote:

I've actually had two clients ask me for a test sample to assess my skill before they actually hired me for their jobs. I think it's fair for a client to ask for a short test during the interview to select the best freelancer for their project. Or is that considered as free work and a violation of Upwork rules?

zelomi
Community Leader
5 of 6

@Alya U wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

I've actually had two clients ask me for a test sample to assess my skill before they actually hired me for their jobs. I think it's fair for a client to ask for a short test during the interview to select the best freelancer for their project. Or is that considered as free work and a violation of Upwork rules?

Might be fair to a certain extent. But then they can ask another several freelancers the same and get the job done for free. I only translated 3 sentences and told him to create a contract if he was happy with the result (I do not work for free), but I am new here so is harder to get your foot on the door. 

I much more prefer to send samples from previous works. However, the client is verified and has reputable feedback. Hence why I took the plunge and decided to translate only those first 3 sentences. If he doesn't hire me, is all well and good, it took me about a minute of my time. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Alya,

Please report the two clients and share screenshots of the request they shared with you. Requesting free test work is a ToS violation and you should use your Portfolio samples to demonstrate your skills to potential clients.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS