cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

New "Client" searching for feedback from Freelancers.

cissell-russell
Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
11 of 23
It is in my best interest to take your comments seriously. I am sure the feedback I have already received will save me time and frustration in the future. I will address your comments in reverse order as the first of your subjects will require a more detailed reply. I am (overly)cautious about the website because I don't know where the hackers and spammers find us to begin with. In addition, I see job listings such as: "I will pay you $1.00 per posting you make on a forum or blog promoting my hemorrhoid cream, adult web site or whatever." (this is not an actual quote, nor is it in any way intended to be representative of the typical posting you find on this web site) Because our existing site has a forum and a blog, I did not want to advertise as a target. On Price I respect the "you get what you pay for" aspect of your comments regarding "price." To my mind there is no different between a project with a set price and an hourly wage project with fixed time. The entire oDesk experience is pretty foreign to me. I am excited by the prospect of what the service has to offer, while at the same time cautious of the risk involved. As a "Client" to this service, I am paying oDesk a fee on top of what I agree to pay my contractor or freelancer. Now you can describe this service any way you like but what it boils down to is the unspoken promise to save me time and alleviate some level of risk. I can find resumes posted all over the net. For there to be value for me as a client, I have to trust that all of the work posted in every Freelancers' profile is their own. That is to say, I would have to trust that implicitly if it were simply a matter of fixed price. Because the price is not fixed, oDesk affords me another benefit. The fee I pay also allows me to create small jobs that are sufficient to confirm the skills and value of a potential contractor without having to expose full company details to a large audience which may or may not contain actors of nefarious intent. I understand that from a skilled professional writers perspective it must be hard to imagine that there are those who claim themselves as your peers yet completely lack your ability or integrity. To me this posting is less about how much I pay to have an article written and more about how much I will invest to make the acquaintance of an excellent writer or two.
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
12 of 23
Hi! You can use copyscape.com to find out if the articles in the portfolio of your prospective hires are really theirs. If they claim that the name is not theirs because its ghostwritten, then it means that by claiming the work as their own, they have violated the ghostwriting policy/rule. When I hire writers, I always ask them to not provide attachments (because that can be copy pasted from the web) but rather to give me a link to an article they wrote that clearly identifies them as the author. There are writers who turn up a great test job and then the subsequent jobs are rubbish (because they hired someone else to write it for them, a common practice here I'm afraid) so that's why I hire on a per hour basis, its not about the price for me as well but rather its about saving time and being sure of the quality of work and the fact that it is indeed the person who I hired who did the job. I'm also a writer but my partner and I owns a technology site. As I am not techy, I decided its better to hire someone to ghostwrite for the site (that's why I hire writers too). I agree the process for finding someone who is the right fit is difficult. I'm just glad that there are also other clients here who are as involved in their business as you (just like me). Wishing you success in finding that right writer for you! My quest took almost 3 months, but our writer has been with us for nearly two years now and he is worth all the effort it took to find him πŸ™‚

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
cissell-russell
13 of 23
Thank you for the copyscape link. We are on the same page regarding concerns.
asajid
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
14 of 23
Hi Russell, Welcome to oDesk! I agree with the others that your job post is not very clear. You need to give more details about what the actual job requires. That way serious applicants can see if they have the expertise required to apply. This current version of your job post will probably end up attracting equally vague applications. Doing a paid test is highly recommended especially for a writing job. It lets the client see if the applicant's tone and skill matches what they require while the applicant can get a feel of what they'll be writing about and who they'll be working with. If I were you, I'd rewrite the job post, make it relevant to the actual work required and then mention that a small, paid test will be required from shortlisted applicants. Once you have a fair number of applications, start shortlisting. First check their cover letters, portfolio items, feedback history and profiles. Make a list of those who interest you. But the portfolio may or may not reflect their actual ability, so I highly recommend a Skype call, audio at least if not video. You'll get a feel for their language skills as well as personality. This is very important if you want to hire for an ongoing/ long-term job. Send out the paid test to the finalists who pass through the Skype phase. As far as rates are concerned, it depends on how technical your topics will be. You can discuss this with your applicants during the interview. Naturally the rates will vary with skill and expertise. Like someone said above, an expert ends up being cheaper in the long run as they are quicker and deliver better quality content. You wouldn't want to skimp on the quality of your content, as your blog is basically your brand voice. You wouldn't want it to be lousy or unimpressive. Ask if the applicants can handle uploading the content directly to your blog as well - it will save you a lot of headache in the long run if the writer knows how to handle uploading and formatting the posts as well as putting up Google-smart meta-data while they are at it. :) On a side note, you sound like a very trusting person, which is nice, but you'll need to be on your toes while interviewing and test the applicants' claims by asking intelligent questions rather than opting for blind faith! If you need any assistance in hiring, let me know, I'll put you in touch with our recruitment team. Happy hunting!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
cissell-russell
15 of 23
Thank you for taking the time to post your helpful comments.
asajid
16 of 23
You're welcome, Russell! Glad I could help...
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
17 of 23
[quote=Ayesha Sadaf Kamal]I highly recommend a Skype call, audio at least if not video. You'll get a feel for their language skills as well as personality.[/quote] I don't want to be contentious, and I am certainly not being defensive here either, as I clearly have the ability to audio and/or video chat and impress clients with my command of the English language. I just want to point out that a person's speaking ability may or may not relate well to their ability to write well. I have met many people who can't seem to put 2 good sentences together when talking in person, but their writing is very eloquent and enjoyable. I have also met their opposites. As this is an international platform, I just want to speak up a little for those (possibly rare few) who may fail miserably on a Skype chat interview, but who are still likely among the best candidates for the job.
cissell-russell
18 of 23
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I fully agree that no person's ability should be assessed based upon any single data point.
asajid
19 of 23
Robin, I didn't mean that you judge their writing skill entirely by the call. Let me clarify... I agree that a person's written and spoken skills may - and do - vary. More so for non-native writers. I mean who'd know better than I, right? πŸ™‚ The point I was trying to make was that in general, an audio interview gives you a feel for the applicant's personality. Secondly, it is the quickest way to find out if the person can walk the walk so to speak. Once you are interviewing via Skype, you can ask intelligent questions pertaining to the job. How will you manage this or how would you tackle that... That way you can tell who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. I've hired people before, and in my opinion, an audio interview is the fastest way to shortlist applicants and get a feel for their knowledge on the subject, not just language skills.
anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
20 of 23
It's funny that the devil's advocate post is Robin's post number 666 ahaha! :D Anyway, I agree by what she said here. My tech site ghostwriter sounds like an alien on skype call. Sometimes, he also he stutters and can't go past a few sentences. He says that because English is not his mother tongue, that he gets hesitant when speaking. However, as a writer, his skill is impeccable. He has great proofreading and editing skills too and even scored in the top 10% on his oDesk test. So yes, some people may not do well on skype interview but that does not mean that they can't produce great work.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS