🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: New skill vs. Getting New Clients Concenr...
Page options
shehabelabnoudyy
Community Member

New skill vs. Getting New Clients Concenring this skill? HELP

Hi,

I am a full-time freelancer video editor and creator, working here on upwork since couple of months ago
I asked before if a freelancer can provide mutliple services (2 or more skills)
If he truly capable of providing quality work and everybody here said: sure!

So, I really worked hard on myself to develop a second high-Income skill which took me very long time
and effort to develop this skill which is SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING (Instagram Marketing)in specific.
To now introducing myself as a (Video editor and Instagram marketer) at the same time (2 skill set)

I noticed that I need to add this skill into my package, Many clients out there are searching for
a combination of skills of that way, and I know it would help me alot to grab more clients and provide
quality work with the new combination-set of skills I possess right now.

So, my question is pretty much simple, How can I start getting jobs concerning my new skillset (Instagram Marketing)
because it does not neceserly have to be always a job that requires
(Video editing and Marketing at the same time)
but assuming now that I want to land my first job here on upwork concerning my new skill
How can this be possible? How can I convince my client with my New skill,
Especially If he looks at my previous work and sees its all about Video production and Film Making only!

-I Currently have 2 examples of my previous work concerning my new Skill
I made for 2 of my Clients (Was not on Upwork)

- I have a social media certificate from the HUBSPOT as well but I could not found it
between the certificates choices here on Upwork
Is that enough? maybe stick it to my portfolio and make a specialized profile for it?
Any help, suggestions would help very much?

Looking forward to hear from you 🙂
Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
mdkhan0465
Community Member

Hello Shehab,

It is not always necessary to have experience to get a new job. Just imagine about your first contract in here. Did you have a history of work then? No, right? You can still get jobs concerning your new skill set. Just adding a couple of portfolios is enough. In addition, modify your profile subject and description. Not all clients check your work history. 

Plus, you can offer clients a free test. Often clients consider it as a pass and do not ask for a test. You need to be very confident while selling yourself. Prepare a stunners cover letter and do some research before bidding. 

I am not too old in here but you can visit my profile to see the variety of categories I have put my foot on. It is the reason I am telling this. 

Hope you'll shine, brother. Have a great life.

~Solayman

Md Solayman K wrote:

Hello Shehab,

It is not always necessary to have experience to get a new job. Just imagine about your first contract in here. Did you have a history of work then? No, right? You can still get jobs concerning your new skill set. Just adding a couple of portfolios is enough. In addition, modify your profile subject and description. Not all clients check your work history. 

Plus, you can offer clients a free test. Often clients consider it as a pass and do not ask for a test. You need to be very confident while selling yourself. Prepare a stunners cover letter and do some research before bidding. 

I am not too old in here but you can visit my profile to see the variety of categories I have put my foot on. It is the reason I am telling this. 

~Solayman

Solayman, it is always nice to have people giving advise but please make sure you advise complise with the ToS. Free samples, unpaid test etc are a violation. Please do not give this advise again.

Jennifer R wrote:

Md Solayman K wrote:

Hello Shehab,

~Solayman

Solayman, it is always nice to have people giving advise but please make sure you advise complise with the ToS. Free samples, unpaid test etc are a violation. Please do not give this advise again.

Sorry. My bad. I didn't have that in my thoughts .Free test is obviously prohibited.  Rather submitting some samples may do the trick, I think. Anyways. Thanks for correcting me. 

~Solayman    

Jennifer R wrote:

As a freelancer, offering free samples / tests is **NOT** a violation of the terms, nor is doing or accepting them. In most cases it is unwise. But it is not forbidden.

Clients may simply not ask for them.

jr-translation
Community Member

Shehab A wrote:

Hi,

I am a full-time freelancer video editor and creator, working here on upwork since couple of months ago
I asked before if a freelancer can provide mutliple services (2 or more skills)
If he truly capable of providing quality work and everybody here said: sure!

So, I really worked hard on myself to develop a second high-Income skill which took me very long time
and effort to develop this skill which is SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING (Instagram Marketing)in specific.
To now introducing myself as a (Video editor and Instagram marketer) at the same time (2 skill set)

I noticed that I need to add this skill into my package, Many clients out there are searching for
a combination of skills of that way, and I know it would help me alot to grab more clients and provide
quality work with the new combination-set of skills I possess right now.

So, my question is pretty much simple, How can I start getting jobs concerning my new skillset (Instagram Marketing)
because it does not neceserly have to be always a job that requires
(Video editing and Marketing at the same time)
but assuming now that I want to land my first job here on upwork concerning my new skill
How can this be possible? How can I convince my client with my New skill,
Especially If he looks at my previous work and sees its all about Video production and Film Making only!

-I Currently have 2 examples of my previous work concerning my new Skill
I made for 2 of my Clients (Was not on Upwork)

- I have a social media certificate from the HUBSPOT as well but I could not found it
between the certificates choices here on Upwork
Is that enough? maybe stick it to my portfolio and make a specialized profile for it?
Any help, suggestions would help very much?

Looking forward to hear from you 🙂
Thank you

Hi Shehab,

yes, use specialized profiles for your main services. Put the main focus on one skill and mention the other in your proposal.
Adding new skills to an existing profile is easier than to start with an empty job history.

I have the feeling certificates are overrated by those having them and undervalued by clients. Mention your relevanf certificates in your profile and if it makes sense also in the proposal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths