🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New to Freelancing and Issues with a potentia...
Page options
cszeman
Community Member

New to Freelancing and Issues with a potential employer from another site.

Hello,

I am new to Freelancing and this situation happened to me on another site. I am just wondering what to do if it happens here.

I answered an ad for a PR copywriting gig. This person then emailed me a few days later. I had a bad feeling about this.

This person then wanted me to write a show for them (I did write ads in my last job, and I know how to write scripts), then they talked about me signing an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) form, but they never sent me any. I thought that I was supposed to send the form, which I did. But they said that they will have me sign it. They never sent me the form to sign online.

Then they asked if I can do some Social Media gigs for them. I said that I can. Then I thought that they were going to connect with me, so I sent them my Social Media info (To two of them). Then I a get a message from them saying that swore and said a racial slur in my past emails. I told them that I never done that, they must of mistaken some of my friend's posts (That I shared or commented on) on Facebook. I had to go and delete some of those, and I learned my lesson never to mention that to an employer.

Then, they asked if I can do a PSA for them. I wrote back saying I can, but I need to get paid and to sign that NDA form that they never sent. They were still talking about signing the NDA form without sending me one in the attachment. So I had to politely say that I don't want to work for them.

I also did talk to that other site about this person to report them.

What do I do if this situatio happens here on Upwork?

3 REPLIES 3
jr-translation
Community Member

Christina S wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Freelancing and this situation happened to me on another site. I am just wondering what to do if it happens here.

I answered an ad for a PR copywriting gig. This person then emailed me a few days later. I had a bad feeling about this.

This person then wanted me to write a show for them (I did write ads in my last job, and I know how to write scripts), then they talked about me signing an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) form, but they never sent me any. I thought that I was supposed to send the form, which I did. But they said that they will have me sign it. They never sent me the form to sign online.

Then they asked if I can do some Social Media gigs for them. I said that I can. Then I thought that they were going to connect with me, so I sent them my Social Media info (To two of them). Then I a get a message from them saying that swore and said a racial slur in my past emails. I told them that I never done that, they must of mistaken some of my friend's posts (That I shared or commented on) on Facebook. I had to go and delete some of those, and I learned my lesson never to mention that to an employer.

Then, they asked if I can do a PSA for them. I wrote back saying I can, but I need to get paid and to sign that NDA form that they never sent. They were still talking about signing the NDA form without sending me one in the attachment. So I had to politely say that I don't want to work for them.

I also did talk to that other site about this person to report them.

What do I do if this situatio happens here on Upwork?

You do not start to work until you are properly hired and the client has funded at least the first milestone. There is no need to worry over a NDA if the client does not send it.

You do not exchange emails before you have a contract in place (ToS violation). In case a clients reaches out outside Upwork (ToS violation) ignore or ask him to message you on Upwork.

Read, understand, and follow the ToS.

BTW: Clients are not your employers.

Hello,

Thanks for the message and sorry for the wording. This was a client. And it was mostly emails, no contract. And a lot of it was a confusion as to what I am suppose to do. There wasn't any work. 

As for NDA, does that mean that I have sign that after the work is done?

Also, I know most clients would have me do a test run before hiring me. That's okay with me. However, I know most will hire me properly here too.

Christina S wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the message and sorry for the wording. This was a client. And it was mostly emails, no contract. And a lot of it was a confusion as to what I am suppose to do. There wasn't any work. 

Don't accept a project if you're confused about what you're supposed to do. Ask the client to clarify everything before you accept. 

As for NDA, does that mean that I have sign that after the work is done?

No, you sign an NDA before work begins. If the client needs one, they'll send it to you.

Also, I know most clients would have me do a test run before hiring me. 

Clients are not allowed to request free work on Upwork, whether they call them "tests" or not. Do not begin working until a client sends you an official offer through Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths