cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Odesk...Questions!

Janis R Member Since: Apr 16, 2015
1 of 3

Hey everyone! I am new to the oDesk community, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to find your first job. I'm looking to build up my portfolio on here but am not sure how to get hired without any experience on oDesk. Thank you so much for your time.

Miroslav J Member Since: Sep 5, 2014
2 of 3

Welcome Janis.

You can find answers on all of your questions in this thread:

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Want-to-get-that-first-job-Then-check-this-out/td-p/21457

I wish you luck in finding jobs Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 3

Hi Janis,

Welcome.

We've all been in your place.

Building an informative, full profile is key. Your page acts as your resume/CV so it has to be eye-catching.

Add examples to your portfolio and let potential clients see what they're hiring.

Take tests which relate to your field of expertise. Hide any tests without higher scores and re-take them until you achieve a good score.

Be patient and perseverance, freelancing is competitive.

Some people like to accept a slightly lower rate at first to get their foot in the door, but don't let clients offer peanuts.

When a client finally contacts you about a role, try to answer within a reasonable time and avail yourself for an interview.

Apply for roles which relate to your skills, you'll stand a better chance of being chosen.

Keep going, it'll get better.

All the best.

Gill

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS