cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to UpworK bu old to Elance

Dimitrije L Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
1 of 9

Now u make first money withdraw to my payoneer card,

Is it posible that Elance have 8.75% fee for every job, no Withdrawal Fee.

And Upwork have 10% fee for every job and Withdrawal Fee of $2 (maybe fix rated, maybe for amount of $46)

Upwork have much more competetion in number of fleelansers and very lower paid job than Elance.. is stay like this Upwork will be swallowed by competition sites in new year or two. Good luck Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 9

"is stay like this Upwork will be swallowed by competition sites in new year or two."

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there's been a 10% commission rate and withdrawal fees for a number of years, and they're still here. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
3 of 9

Low paying jobs exist on all platforms including Elance.

Upwork or any other platform doesn't encourage clients to create cheap jobs because the more value a job has, the better it benefits Upwork (Remember you said it's 10% so do the maths).

I think it's completely wrong to judge a platform based on jobs posted. You really need to get in and get hired so you can get better figures. Looking at low numbers & stats for a client has nothing to do with the client's will to hire at higher rates. What if the previous jobs were really simple ones? I wouldn't pay too high for a very simple job, would you?

I had a client on Upwork who had an average hiring rate of $5/hr with many hours & different freelancers hired in the past. I am very sure you wouldn't even bother placing a bid on a job for that client. I communicated with the client on a job posted to Upwork and he agreed to hire me at $33/hr (less than my hourly rate but still fair), and we did 16 hours successfully and I completed the work he needs. He never complained about the price despite the fact that he reguarly hire at much lower rates.

What I'm trying to say is whether on Upwork or Elance or anywhere else, it's the agreement between you & your client that decides whether a job is low-paying or not. Please keep that in mind.

Best regards,

Wassim

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 9

"the more value a job has, the better it benefits Upwork"

Not necessarily. If 50 people each do a $20 job and withdraw their earnings right away - well OK, six days later - Upwork makes a lot more than they do if one person does a $1,000 job and withdraws their earnings right away. I think the withdrawal charges are a significant part of the Upwork business model. This is one reason I don't see a $20 - or, better, $50 - minimum fixed-rate fee being introduced any time soon. 

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
5 of 9

Fergus,

You think your maths' true because you're comparing one job to 50 jobs.

50 jobs worth $20 each is not the same as 1 job worth $1,000. Well, it's the same money-wise, but practically that's one job from one person versus 50 jobs from several people.

Your maths becomes true when you say "50 jobs worth $1,000 each versus 50 jobs worth $20 each". Which one do you think Upwork will enjoy more? 

Best regards,
Wassim

Community Guru
6 of 9

Obviously they'd make more on 50 jobs at $1,000 each, but the majority of jobs on here are low paid and the fee structure is set up to make maximum revenue from that.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
NAGY M Member Since: Feb 1, 2011
7 of 9

I am not  big fan of the new Upwork, either. However, take a look at these links before going back to Elance. And, even if this doesn't scare you ( not sure whether it should or shouldn't, as these posts are a bit old... I got scared), Elance will fusion with Upwork in the near future....**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
8 of 9

Nagy,

I think sharing this link is against the community guidlines because you're sharing hatred to Elance which is an Upwork company.

And to be honest, I don't believe any of these people. I've had a great success on Elance and they never tried to rob my money. In fact, they were so professional to provide all kind of support & help I needed.

Best regards,
Wassim

Community Guru
9 of 9

Elance is far from perfect, but most of the links there are just pathetic whines. "Elance robbed me. Well OK, they suspended my account because they said I was breaking the rules. All right, I was breaking the rules, but still..."

I certainly don't think anyone needs to worry about Upwork being dragged down to Elance standards...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS