cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Upwork.... help needed please

Shannon M Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
1 of 11

Hi folks, 

I am new to Upwork and have just accepted my first job offer. In the offer it says "Maual Time Allowed: Yes" does this mean I can just tell the client how many hours I have spent on the job, or do I still have to install the Time App? Is the time app the same as the work log? Also, is Paypal how we recieve payment? 

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks Smiley Happy 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 11

If manual time is allowed, yes, it means you can click on the work diary section for this particular job and you can manually enter in the time you worked.

Yes, it means that you do not need to install the time-tracking software.

It would be a tactical error to work this way.

You SHOULD NOT ENTER TIME MANUALLY unless you have a very good reason for doing so.

Manually entered time does NOT have payment guarantees like normally logged time does.

So for new Upwork contractor Shannon, the short answer is:

No, do not use the manual time logging feature.

UNLESS you come here and explain why you want to use it and we agree that you have a valid reason,

Logging time manually is not something to do as a personal preference. It can lead to you losing a lot of money if a client disputes the time logged that way or does not want to pay you for any reason.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 11

And Paypal is forbidden edit - off platform.

You should consider reading some of the site documentation to avoid a world of woes.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
4 of 11

Thank you for your response. I do see that in Canada there is a recommended payment method. I guess I was just weary about giving my banking details online. 

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 11
Talk of Paypal here is usually linked to some scheme off-platform. So I totally forgot that you could be mentioning the legitimate payment method option on-platform.

Paypal is acceptable via "payment methods" in you account settings. Your choice of payment method comes down to whichever is cheapest, quickest, and most reliable, in your location.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 11

Shannon you are in a category that is most commonly scammed. Do take Preston and Setu's advice very seriously and read all the beginners advice you can. My alarm bells are ringing faintly, So be sure not to start work until your contract has been confirmed by Upwork (you will get an email message), and that the payment methods on Upwork are correctly in place. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
7 of 11

Hi Shannon, welcome to Upwork!

I see you already received good advice from Preston and Setu. 

Please watch this video to learn how to set up your payment method, and check out the articles in the Getting Paid section.

Preston is on target with his reply regarding manual time. I would just add that you need to contact the client first and ask to approve the manual hours you'd like to add to the Timesheet, but note these hours won't be covered by Upwork's Hourly Protection. Following videos will provide more details about our Hourly Protection program, using the Work Diary and the Team App.

Before you start applying to jobs and earning on Upwork, please read the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center and complete your profile. I also advise watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Building a Freelancer Profile

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

Let me know if you have any question and good luck.

8 of 11

Thank you all for your great advice. When I asked about recieving payment via paypal, I was asking about the paypal option that is in the "getting paid" setting. Are any of you in Canada? Is it safe for me to give my bank details? 

Community Guru
9 of 11

re: "Is it safe for me to give my bank details?"

It IS SAFE to provide your bank details to Upwork.

Don't provide your details to clients. But do provide bank details to Upwork.

Upwork has many places where it could make improvement, but the security of my financial details on Upwork is NOT a concern for me. Upwork has the bank information from me that it needs to send me money. That's a good thing.

Every week Upwork transfers my available earnings to my bank account. For free. No transaction fees. So if you can take advantage of this payment withdrawal method, you should do so.

If you have the choice between PayPal and moving money directly to your bank account, choose bank account. PayPal withdrawals incur fees and PayPal is NOT a completely secure place to store your money. Your PayPal account can be limited or blocked or messed with at any time by PayPal for all kinds of reasons. That won't happen with your bank account.

Community Guru
10 of 11

Let me provide a bit more detail about why you want to use the time-tracking software to log your time, if at all possible.

First of all, it's just more convenient. Hit a button, let the software track time for you.

Second, you'll probably earn more.

Diligently tracking all the time using the time-tracking software will yield more honestly, more fully tracked time for most of us. I think I'm like most contractors in the sense that when I have to track time manually, I tend to not include all the time I actually work. I subconsciously make excuses for not including all the time I spend on the project, and I bill for fewer hours than when I simply use the time-tracker.

Third: Upwork's hourly payment protection is very real, and something Upwork takes seriously. This is a very pro-contractor program. It can be summarized very simply like this:

If you logged time using the time-tracking software...

AND you noted what you were doing with brief descriptions (there is a strict limit on number of characters... it's like a Twitter tweet)...

AND the screenshots of your computer (taken on average every ten minutes) show that you were working on the client's project and not watching Netflix or something...

Then Upwork guarantees you will be paid for the time worked.

If the client decides he doesn't like the quality of your work, YOU WILL STILL BE PAID.

If the client somehow gets his credit card company to reverse charges or stiffs Upwork on the bill, YOU WILL STILL BE PAID.

I can't guarantee that it is ALWAYS this simple. There may well be ways that a persistent client can get properly-logged hours removed... But from everything I have read in Forum reports about real cases... Upwork backs up contractors who log time properly. Generally Upwork simply points out to clients that the agreement is that they pay contractors for the time worked. Sometimes Upwork even takes a hit and pays contractors even if they don't get paid for some hours. Either way, the contractor is paid for the time worked.

So it's a good thing for a contractor to use the time-tracker.

If you do not use the time-tracking software and you log time manually, you WILL BE PAID...

...unless the client disputes the work or the time you spent, in which case Upwork doesn't really put any kind of a fight. Upwork will pretty much just do what the client asks if they complain about manually-logged time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS