cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New to Upwork

Highlighted
Angelique M Member Since: Apr 21, 2016
1 of 8

I have a client that has sent me a check and wants me to purchase items to do the job requested. Is this a scam or is this how it all works?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 8

It's a scam.

Don't cash the check

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 8

Hi Angelique,

Offering to pay outside of Upwork is a serious violation of our policy. This policy is there to keep our marketplace secure and to protect both freelancers and clients. Please, report the job posting by flagging it as inappropriate and don't further communicate with the client.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Angelique M Member Since: Apr 21, 2016
4 of 8

*** Edited per Community Guidelines *** 

All of these messaged me from here to meet them on Google Hangout to interview. 

Then Report to them each morning at 8am to discuss job duties. Then They sent me a check to deposit and purchase items to do the job Laptop And software. I just did a Webinar with you guys where a guy was thinking this was a scam. The Upwork speaker said it was. 

I feel that I have just been taken advantage of. So I can not find any profile or job offers under these companies on Upwork any longer. I have deposited the check and now on the phone to cancel 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 8

You are breaking the number one rule on Upwork by accepting these checks.  You just admitted to it three times.  You will be lucky not to be flagged for suspension.  Please report these people and read the TOS of the site.  There are many scams here and you have to protect yourself.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 8

re: "All of these messaged me from here to meet them on Google Hangout to interview. "

Let's think about this logically:

Why would a client need to meet you on Google Hangout to interview?

They're not using any communication tools or features there that they cant find within Upwork's messaging system.

The reason: They want you there so that they escape scrutiny of Upwork.

If you are a newbie:

To save time, if a client invites you to interview on Google Hangout, stop communicating with them and move on. It's a scam.

If an actual client for some bizarre reason wants to use Gogole Hangout then, first of all, they shouldn't. And secondly, they can work with more experienced contractors. If you're a newbie, don't continue any further.

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
7 of 8

If you keep in mind two key rules, you'll be relatively safe on Upwork:

1.  Never, ever begin work without a contract on Upwork

2. Never, ever accept payment outside of Upwork

You know this now and I understand it's a painful lesson.  I hope your bank is able to work with you to avoid fees and other legal problems that may arise.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

3. Never, ever, no matter what, log in as somebody else other than yourself, or let somebody else use your Upwork account. Not a client, not a co-worker, not a sibling, not a spouse. Nobody.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS