Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this....Questions about Pricing?

sabrinalmq
Sabrina M Member Since: Jul 8, 2016
1 of 5

Hello All, 

I am new to this site and to freelancing in general.   I have set up a profile as a Spanish/ English translator and set an hourly wage that I think is low enough based on my limited experience.  I am curious about how others figure their hourly rates.  

Additionally, I have noticed that some of the jobs that are posted are requesting a per word rate, and I am wondering what people typically charge per word when applying for jobs.  

Thanks to all for your help!! Smiley Happy

Sabrina Mendoza Quispe 

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
2 of 5

@Sabrina M wrote:

Hello All, 

I am curious about how others figure their hourly rates.  

The rates suggested by relevant professional organizations and the amount of time and effort individual jobs require.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 5

I quit giving per word rates and started billing by the time I think it's going to take me plus some padding in case I underestimate. I have coding articles that take me so many hours and I found that quoting a per word rate was actually making me lose money.

atlinguist
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
4 of 5

I tend to quote per-word rates because some clients can handle those better than characters (and spaces) in a line and lines per page, which is something that usually only business clients know about.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 5

@Sabrina M wrote:

Hello All, 

I am new to this site and to freelancing in general.   I have set up a profile as a Spanish/ English translator and set an hourly wage that I think is low enough based on my limited experience.  I am curious about how others figure their hourly rates.  

Additionally, I have noticed that some of the jobs that are posted are requesting a per word rate, and I am wondering what people typically charge per word when applying for jobs.  

Thanks to all for your help!! Smiley Happy

Sabrina Mendoza Quispe 

I find it easier to quote on a basic per word basis, depending on the complexity of the text. But don't think that, just because you are starting out, you must go for rock bottom.

Nevertheless, be honest with yourself as to the sort of assignment you can cope with and bid accordingly -  but I wouldn't go lower than $0.04 per word.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS