cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to this and don't get the hourly pay rate

Jay B Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
1 of 5

After looking at several Project Management jobs that I'm interested in, I glanced at the pay rates for the client histories and I'm a little perplexed ..... $5.55/hr., $11/hr, $5.56 hr.. Can someone enlighten me on why the hourly pay rates are so low? How can anyone survive on that? Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

re: "Can someone enlighten me on why the hourly pay rates are so low?"

It's not that complicated.

It's a global market place.

In some places, those rates are a LOT better than what the same contractor could earn working in the local economy. Somebody might be earning $5.55 per hour and his friends and neighbors are envious because he earns so much money.

There are also contractors in that same country who would never dream of working for so little, who won't even talk to you unless you're paying $100 per hour.

Things aren't as simple as "people in country X need less money."

There are also different motivations for working.

Some people living in the United States are completely willing to work for $3.00 per hour. Maybe they're surviving on that. Probably not. But if they want to work for that rate, they are allowed to do so.

My very best client, the person who has no discernible limits to his budget and wants me to work as many hours as I'm willing to do so, lives in the Philippines. I live in the United States.

Does this mean that clients are typically wealthy people from the Philippines hiring contractors from the United States? Maybe not. I'm not sure what is "typical."

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
3 of 5

@Jay B wrote:

After looking at several Project Management jobs that I'm interested in, I glanced at the pay rates for the client histories and I'm a little perplexed ..... $5.55/hr., $11/hr, $5.56 hr.. Can someone enlighten me on why the hourly pay rates are so low? How can anyone survive on that? Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

Hi Jay,

I notice your quite new to Upwork. I sent you a private message. Go to the top left of this page, and you will see a green envelop icon, the word Messages, and hopfully a 2 in the green box.  That's how you access your private messages.  Note, you may need to go to Settings, 3rd link from the top, and turn on Private Messages before you can see the 2 items I sent.

Moving right along...

• There are clients here who pay better. I work for 3 of them right now. As a Project Manager.
  • It takes time to learn how to sift through all the jobs and find good clients.
  • You need to work on your profile, and decide on the process you want to use to bid on jobs.

My PM to you will hopefully be of help. I see no point in typing up anything else because of what I sent you.

If you didn't get my PM's, turn yours on, and then PM me.

Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
4 of 5

@ Jay

Both Preston and Pandora have it right. I won't know if someone else posted before this one!! Some can live perfectly fine even with the lower rates. A persons current location is what starts it most of the time. Some freelancers can work the exhange rates better than others. Some clients have the budget and others are still trying to hold onto their money so much that they leave a coin imprints on their hands!!

The part that was missed is that UpWork is not the only place a person can work as a freelancer or just plain work in general. It never was. Some might be using UpWork as just another source of income. Others like me work here in UpWork and so far have only done certain kinds of work here. But UpWork has nothing to do with my work that shows up at my door at random. And UpWork certainly has nothing to do with a 14 hectare farm that also earns for my family and other families. I never found demolition work here but I have certainly helped take apart plenty of houses!! The list can go on and on.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

As we move into the future, an increasing number of contractors on Upwork will be using the site to find work as part of a lifestyle choice, and not as a means to "survive" or earn income.

Advancements in technology continue to decrease the amount of human labor required to obtain the necessities to survive (food, shelter, etc.). Governments and other societal constructs continue expanding to ensure greater numbers of people survival and sustenence by default, without need for work.

What do you do when your government, society, culture or family ensures your survival and standard of living without you needing to do work?

Some people will watch TV. Some people will play games. Some people will maintain frequent levels of chemical intoxication. Some people will work on Upwork.

If you are wealthy and bored, or simply already taken care of, then doing online work may represent access to additional meals in restaurants or an additional pair of shoes. Or it may simple mean access to doing something that interests you. Maybe you want to create web graphics rather than go see a movie.

One largely untapped reality which will become increasingly important in the future is the desire for sociality. People will want to work with others not for the sake of money, but for the sake of camaraderie.

In "Star Trek: First Contact," when Lily Sloane asked Captain Jean Luc Picard how much the USS Enterprise-E cost to build, Picard tells her: "The economics of the future is somewhat different. You see, money doesn't exist in the 24th century... The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of Humanity."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS